Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,603 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] cyanogenmod failed to install, stuck in recovery

Tip us?

Bjangles
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] cyanogenmod failed to install, stuck in recovery

I've searched for a good three hours now and can't find a solution. Here's my problem, I got root, I got TWRP, I tried to install cyanogenmod, when it's installing it just stops and says FAILED in big red letters. The small letters say error executing update binary in "cyanogenmod.zip" I tried rebooting into android it just goes back to twrp. ive tried reflashing the .zip, same error. I've tried every flash to stock method I could find and those get stuck on the attached picture's step. I'm really close to giving up and am very frustrated. please help thanks. Oh and i have the att version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recovery no work.jpg
Views:	1179
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	2492634  

jtmaher
Old
(Last edited by jtmaher; 4th January 2014 at 04:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
I'm having a very similar problem. I was able to install TWRP just fine. However, during the installation of Cyanogenmod 10.2, it gave me these error messages: "assert failed: run_program("/sys/bin/loki.sh," "E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcar", and "Error flashing zip '/sdcard/cm-10.2.0-d800.zip.'" Now, whenever I turn my phone on, it displays the LG logo with "Security Error" written underneath it. I tried doing a factory reset in TWRP, but that didn't fix the problem.

Here's loki.sh:
Code:
#!/sbin/sh
#
# This leverages the loki_patch utility created by djrbliss which allows us
# to bypass the bootloader checks on jfltevzw and jflteatt
# See here for more information on loki: https://github.com/djrbliss/loki
#

export C=/tmp/loki_tmpdir

mkdir -p $C
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=$C/aboot.img
/system/bin/loki_patch boot $C/aboot.img /tmp/boot.img $C/boot.lok || exit 1
/system/bin/loki_flash boot $C/boot.lok || exit 1
rm -rf $C
exit 0
Edit:
I ended up using this guide to revert my G2 to its original state. While I'm not sure why Cyanogenmod failed to install, I suspect it may be because the version I used was not designed for the most recent OTA update (10o).
The Following User Says Thank You to jtmaher For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bjangles
Old
(Last edited by Bjangles; 4th January 2014 at 04:24 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmaher View Post
I'm having a very similar problem. I was able to install TWRP just fine. However, during the installation of Cyanogenmod 10.2, it gave me these error messages: "assert failed: run_program("/sys/bin/loki.sh," "E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcar", and "Error flashing zip '/sdcard/cm-10.2.0-d800.zip.'" Now, whenever I turn my phone on, it displays the LG logo with "Security Error" written underneath it. I tried doing a factory reset in TWRP, but that didn't fix the problem.

Here's loki.sh:
Code:
#!/sbin/sh
#
# This leverages the loki_patch utility created by djrbliss which allows us
# to bypass the bootloader checks on jfltevzw and jflteatt
# See here for more information on loki: https://github.com/djrbliss/loki
#

export C=/tmp/loki_tmpdir

mkdir -p $C
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot of=$C/aboot.img
/system/bin/loki_patch boot $C/aboot.img /tmp/boot.img $C/boot.lok || exit 1
/system/bin/loki_flash boot $C/boot.lok || exit 1
rm -rf $C
exit 0
Edit:
I ended up using this guide with the AT&T files mentioned in this guide to revert my G2 to its original state. However, I still have no idea why Cyanogenmod failed to install.
Did you use flashtool 1.8 or 1.5? I'll try this out today. thanks.

chasingeuphoria
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjangles View Post
I've searched for a good three hours now and can't find a solution. Here's my problem, I got root, I got TWRP, I tried to install cyanogenmod, when it's installing it just stops and says FAILED in big red letters. The small letters say error executing update binary in "cyanogenmod.zip" I tried rebooting into android it just goes back to twrp. ive tried reflashing the .zip, same error. I've tried every flash to stock method I could find and those get stuck on the attached picture's step. I'm really close to giving up and am very frustrated. please help thanks. Oh and i have the att version.
I just had the same problem, on the T-Mo. I was able to restore from the back up I had just created. I saw today the cm had an m release of cm11. Tried installing and it failed. Tried rebooting went right back into recovery. Scared the crap out of me. But I'm back up and running. A little sad that it didn't work I miss cm. Is it possible that my Loki I flashed not 30 minutes ago didn't work?

Bjangles
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingeuphoria View Post
I just had the same problem, on the T-Mo. I was able to restore from the back up I had just created. I saw today the cm had an m release of cm11. Tried installing and it failed. Tried rebooting went right back into recovery. Scared the crap out of me. But I'm back up and running. A little sad that it didn't work I miss cm. Is it possible that my Loki I flashed not 30 minutes ago didn't work?
I think it was just a bad download. Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to make a backup before I tried to install CM. I tried the other guys fix and it worked for me.

chasingeuphoria
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I can't find anything, anywhere else about this. I would like to find more information before I do it again. Not sure if I could handle that again. I've never had this happen before.

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

chasingeuphoria
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjangles View Post
I think it was just a bad download. Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to make a backup before I tried to install CM. I tried the other guys fix and it worked for me.
I don't think it was a bad download. I think it has something to do with the recovery. But I've searched and searched can't find anything. Don't want to ask here because if it has been asked here before it would cause an uproar. Lol. Anyway prolly going to give up. I do miss CyanogenMod. But I'm obviously not smart enough

danaconda_
Old
(Last edited by danaconda_; 7th January 2014 at 02:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I posted in a Q&A thread last week about the same issue. Once you take an update (10o for at&t) your boot.img is changed and won't be recognized when trying to flash. If you revert back to stock, you should be able to regain root, install recovery and flash.

Edit: found the thread. datechnerd even posted some modified roms for 10o. I think he did same for other variants.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2589381

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app