Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 37,807 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting Samsung Galaxy s3 sch-L710 for tethering

Tip us?

ksmoove2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Rooting Samsung Galaxy s3 sch-L710 for tethering

I have Sprint service and was told that they're very strict on Wi-Fi tethering so I wanted to know if I got my phone rooted and used it as a hotspot for my Xbox 360 and laptop will Sprint know and try to charge me? Will the root turn it into a mobile hotspot?

nyfl2004
Old
Thanks Meter 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmoove2 View Post
I have Sprint service and was told that they're very strict on Wi-Fi tethering so I wanted to know if I got my phone rooted and used it as a hotspot for my Xbox 360 and laptop will Sprint know and try to charge me? Will the root turn it into a mobile hotspot?
Most custom roms have the native hotspot hacked. As far as Sprint seeing, I've never heard of it.

dhlee528
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmoove2 View Post
if you are willing to spend money, foxfi works fine too

I've been using it for almost a year now

RootUserDWR
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Sprint knows when they see an excessive amount of data being used. They can't do anything about it unless you specify that your device is rooted.(Modified)

They do have specific tricks for customers with high data use. They disable the main tower where most of your data traffic comes from, but leave surrounding towers alone. That one tower will have LTE slowed but 3G will be at regular capacity. It's only done for about 2 to 3 weeks and then enabled again.

Basically, it's spot checking.
They've done it to me on 3 different occasions in 3 different areas across town. And I always check to see if it's the case by going to the next nearest tower and doing speed tests in the area.

(Just try to stay under 50GB and you'll be okay).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app