5,595,000 Members 38,994 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problem with GT-N7000

Tip us?

NZFalo
Old
(Last edited by NZFalo; 2nd January 2014 at 11:25 PM.) Reason: Wanted to add something in.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Problem with GT-N7000

Hello!

I am a complete noobie when it comes to rooting androids/installing new roms and so on but I for the life of me cannot get my head around this and I keep running into the same problem no matter which way I try.

I attained this phone from a Chinese (and funnily enough bought the phone in China too) friend of mine after she decided to buy herself an Iphone. Before she gave it to me she factory reset it and it came to me stock:

Model Number: GT-I9220
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband Version: N7000XXKJ6
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-N7000XXKKA-CL726566
Build number: ANZHI.COM.AX918

So to start with one of the issues is that I cannot seem to get Windows to pick up my phone as a USB device no matter what I try. I've tried downloading the latest USB drivers from the Samsung Website, installing KIES to manage the device but nothing seems to work it simply will not pick it up as a USB device. I've tried multiple computers too so it would seem to me that there is something wrong with the phone, perhaps she damaged the connector port on it, it does however charge with no problems when connected via USB. This of course stops me from using ODIN or any forms of rooting that require it to be connected through USB. I've also followed the steps on the phone to tell it to connect via USB in the Wireless menu under "USB Utilities" and under the Applications menu for USB development support.

So that aside I was glad to see that there were other options for rooting/installing a new ROM but again I seem to run into issues that I can't explain.

First off, I struggle to find the correct rom for the kernel of my phone anywhere and when I did manage to find it, it was hosted on the HotFile website which has been taken down because of legal issues.

Second is, I've tried the other methods like the "ExynosAbuse" which tells me that my version doesn't need to be rooted and when I try simply installing a new rom (seeing as it seems I do not need to root my device) I keep getting the follow error:

E: failed to verify the whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed

I get these errors for EVERYTHING that I try to install through rebooting my phone into recovery mode and "installing update from external SD." Currently the only method I have for getting the files across to my phone from my PC is through blue tooth and then manually moving them onto the SD card.

The above errors also happen when I try to install the "Clockwork Recovery Mod" by unzipping the file and running it whilst actually logged into the phone and telling it to do a recovery installation.

So basically I am at a loss as to how I can install a new custom rom on my phone, so far everything I have tried just doesn't work.

Perhaps I'm just too green and missing some fundamental step, but I've been reading/googling now for the last 2 days and it just doesn't look hopeful.

Anyone out there able to shed a little more light into this for me?

Thanks!

nokiamodeln91
Old
Thanks Meter 2480
You have a Gingerbread version of recovery and it does not flash zip file from recovery as you already tried. You will need to update to ICS or above to use that method of rooting. Unfortunately the imo the only way is to get the USB port working so you can either update the rom or install a recovery using Odin unless some other member has to add.

Have you tried a different USB cable?

NZFalo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiamodeln91 View Post
You have a Gingerbread version of recovery and it does not flash zip file from recovery as you already tried. You will need to update to ICS or above to use that method of rooting. Unfortunately the imo the only way is to get the USB port working so you can either update the rom or install a recovery using Odin unless some other member has to add.

Have you tried a different USB cable?
Yeah I've tried several different USB cables but still no luck.

So basically I'm screwed if I cannot get the USB to function?

NZFalo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Anyone got any ideas or can I pretty much just discard the phone if I can't get it to connect via USB?

NZFalo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hate to post again but I'm sorta desperate, I need to know if there is something that I can with the phone or not.

Thanks!

forest1971
Old
Thanks Meter 1038
When you try to connect to PC, if there is some action triggered by windows asking for driver somethingvthen it is driver problem. If there is no action from window then usb cable or port. You can also try to check in window device manager.
May want to try to clean usb port or look for a technician who can replace the port.
Btw, there seems to be a temporary cwm.zip which will flash and then it help you to flash proper kernel or rom. That cwm.zip is dangerous if you are using ics or jb rom. But GB rom should be fine. That is all I can think of.

Sent from my phone.

nokiamodeln91
Old
Thanks Meter 2480
I don't think the temp cwm.zip will also be accepted by the GB recovery and will come as signature failed.

NZFalo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the responses, I think the port is damaged so how because it just won't even respond in windows but it does however charge fine.

Anyways I'll look at getting a replacement port on it!

Thanks again!