[Q] AT&T Root Prosecution

Tip us?

blindpew12
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] AT&T Root Prosecution

Hello all,
Please excuse me if this is common knowledge or if there is another thread that answers my question.

I am somewhat new to the Android community, having bought my first device, a new Nexus 7 in August. I decided to try rooting it, which worked out great, until I accidently deleted the os off of it. ( thanks again to those of you who helped me fix this) I now have an AT&T LG G2, and I wish to root this as well. However, I have some concerns as far as my carrier's ability to charge me. Will AT&T know if I root my device? If it can, can AT&T do anything about it? I am worried especially about extra charges to my plan and/or the refusal of service (i.e. they kick me off of my data plan). Can anyone offer any insight to this? Do I have anything to fear?

Thank you for your help.
Blindpew22

secondskin
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpew12 View Post
Hello all,
Please excuse me if this is common knowledge or if there is another thread that answers my question.

I am somewhat new to the Android community, having bought my first device, a new Nexus 7 in August. I decided to try rooting it, which worked out great, until I accidently deleted the os off of it. ( thanks again to those of you who helped me fix this) I now have an AT&T LG G2, and I wish to root this as well. However, I have some concerns as far as my carrier's ability to charge me. Will AT&T know if I root my device? If it can, can AT&T do anything about it? I am worried especially about extra charges to my plan and/or the refusal of service (i.e. they kick me off of my data plan). Can anyone offer any insight to this? Do I have anything to fear?

Thank you for your help.
Blindpew22
No, it is not illegal to root your Android phone or even jailbreak it if you have an iPhone.

Here is an article with the detailed info:
http://www.slashgear.com/eff-clarifi...ones-29267197/

In terms of receiving service from your carrier arises that is a different story. I donít have AT&T, I'm on Sprint but I think AT&T will much likely give you problems or refuse service from what I have heard. I don't know that for certain as I have never had At&T.

I don't see how you would aquire any additional charges unless you are either going over your data limit or break your phone and they find out your rooted so they don't fix it in which case you are stucjk buying a new phone at full retail.

That being said make sure you understand how to unroot so you are able to if you need to take the phone in for service.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Got Rom?

x714x
Old
Thanks Meter 239
It's YOUR phone so they cant do anything other then just void your warranty. Do they actively try and find rooted devices? No. Do they gasp if they find a rooted device? No.

All I can say is you paid for the phone, so you do what you want with it. If worse comes to worse and you brick your device playing with it, thats what insurance is for
T-Mobile LG G2 (D801)
The Following User Says Thank You to x714x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blindpew12
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Wow, thanks for your quick and helpful responses.

Just to reiterate, the only issues I have to worry about is my warranty being voided, and the slim possibility that I can brick my device? I dont need to fear AT&T ending my plan or charging me extra money? Sorry to bother you guys more, but I want to be absolutely sure before I do this.

Thanks again for your time and wisdom.
The Following User Says Thank You to blindpew12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

secondskin
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpew12 View Post
Wow, thanks for your quick and helpful responses.

Just to reiterate, the only issues I have to worry about is my warranty being voided, and the slim possibility that I can brick my device? I dont need to fear AT&T ending my plan or charging me extra money? Sorry to bother you guys more, but I want to be absolutely sure before I do this.

Thanks again for your time and wisdom.
That's correct and your warranty is really only voided if they see it is rooted. If you take the appropriate steps to unroot and restore your phone to stock you should be ok if an issue arises. I can't guarantee you will be because you are in fact always taking some risk when rooting.

In terms of extra money, unless your are tethering or in some way exceeding you plan limits: minutes, data, texts etc you won't receive extra fees for simply being rooted.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Got Rom?
The Following User Says Thank You to secondskin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blindpew12
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Yay! That's great news! Thank you so much for your help. It is very appreciated!