OP Journyman16

5th January 2014, 02:07 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bendigo
Thanks Meter: 238

536 posts
Donate to Me
More
OK, clearly I missed something when I did all my reading. I've got an SM-N9005, LTE, 32GB.

I downloaded an XSA ROM from Sammobile, N9005XXUBMI7_N9005XSABMI1_XSA.zip then unpacked it and ran Odin to flash it. My plan was to have an AU ROM before I tried RDLV root process.

Instead I got an Odin error on system.img.ext4 followed by the error screen. (phone - yellow exclamation - PC. The list there says:
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official
Reactivation Lock: Off
Knox Kernal: 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x0
Qualcomm Secure Boot: Enable
RP SWREV:S1, T1, R1, A1, P1
Write Protection: Enable

Nothing I have been able to do since then has helped. Even tried DL'ing Heimdall but it uses tar.gz packages and I don't have one. I downloaded Kies3 and it tells me my phone is not supported by v3. Clicking Confirm doesn't help nor does the 'Checking' link. The other Kies give a connection error and the Troubleshoot Connection option doesn't help.

The only thing I can think I might have got wrong is trying to install an Aussie package over a TGY (Hong Kong) system, but there are plenty of comments saying that is OK.

I found a PIT file that is supposed to be OK, (CSB_signed_HLTE_EUR_OPEN_32G_0718) but I am not sure a pit is the answer, and if that was the cause, I think I'd need a PIT to match my ROM... right?

By preference I'd like to keep under the level where I trip Knox, but if I have to use a Recovery or CF-Root to get my phone working I'll do it.

Any advice please? Also, any ideas on what went wrong?
Last edited by Journyman16; 5th January 2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Add details
5th January 2014, 10:28 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bendigo

536 posts
Donate to Me
More
With some difficulty in downloading (I have a PC problem where it just seizes up for no traceable reason - going back to shop as soon as I can get it to Melb) with it taking 4 times to DL, and after some dismay that XDA'ers hadn't responded to my problem (how dare you lot sleep when my phone isn't working! ) I tried the Hong Kong version this morning and it ran beautifully. Not only that, my phone set up is intact.

So, what did I just learn?

Was it that, on an unrooted phone you cannot flash a stock from a different country?

Is it that HK ROM's are just different?

Or was it that some ROM's, even from Sammobile, don't run?

I am fairly sure it wasn't just a corrupt DL; IIRC Odin checks the MD5 number before flashing - pretty sure I saw that in a thread while I was trying to work out what had gone wrong. And my PC problem didn't happen when I was DL'ing the XSA version.

On a brighter note, I have my RDLV setup mostly ready to go. RDLV was going to be the next thing I tried to fix the problem so I have CYGWIN and the files all set up. Better not tell the missus I am about to do it - she's already upset enough with me for bricking my brand new phone.

I'd like some advice if you don't mind. In the future I may have to unroot my phone, either for warranty purposes or to sell it. I'd like to be able to put the XSA stock version on it at that point. I'm presuming I could run it over a rooted phone (& lose root) to produce an Aussie phone? But was it reasonable to expect the XSA version to run on my phone while it was not rooted?
6th January 2014, 03:02 AM   |  #3  
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 577

4,469 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journyman16

With some difficulty in downloading (I have a PC problem where it just seizes up for no traceable reason - going back to shop as soon as I can get it to Melb) with it taking 4 times to DL, and after some dismay that XDA'ers hadn't responded to my problem (how dare you lot sleep when my phone isn't working! ) I tried the Hong Kong version this morning and it ran beautifully. Not only that, my phone set up is intact.

So, what did I just learn?

Was it that, on an unrooted phone you cannot flash a stock from a different country?

Is it that HK ROM's are just different?

Or was it that some ROM's, even from Sammobile, don't run?

I am fairly sure it wasn't just a corrupt DL; IIRC Odin checks the MD5 number before flashing - pretty sure I saw that in a thread while I was trying to work out what had gone wrong. And my PC problem didn't happen when I was DL'ing the XSA version.

On a brighter note, I have my RDLV setup mostly ready to go. RDLV was going to be the next thing I tried to fix the problem so I have CYGWIN and the files all set up. Better not tell the missus I am about to do it - she's already upset enough with me for bricking my brand new phone.

I'd like some advice if you don't mind. In the future I may have to unroot my phone, either for warranty purposes or to sell it. I'd like to be able to put the XSA stock version on it at that point. I'm presuming I could run it over a rooted phone (& lose root) to produce an Aussie phone? But was it reasonable to expect the XSA version to run on my phone while it was not rooted?

1st step, exit Kies... It will stuff up an ODIN flash...
2nd, what was the original rom on the HK phone? If it's MJ3 or above it had the new bootloader on it that won't allow you to go back to an earlier version...
6th January 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bendigo

536 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag69

1st step, exit Kies... It will stuff up an ODIN flash...
2nd, what was the original rom on the HK phone? If it's MJ3 or above it had the new bootloader on it that won't allow you to go back to an earlier version...

I may have written it wrong but I wasn't running Kies and Odin at the same time; they were alternative ways to try to get things going.

MI7 was the original and also the one I used to finally get things working again. Then I figured I'd try the RDLV process but still had issues with files - I posted all that on the RDLV thread.

Currently I am all working but unrooted, Knox = )x) and I am waiting for an updated HK version to DL.
7th January 2014, 10:03 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bendigo

536 posts
Donate to Me
More
I eventually got root on my Note. Had to DL the same country version of an update (MK1) and run RDLV process on that, then it all worked flawlessly. I'm still puzzled as to why I couldn't do the equivalent on an Aussie ROM version and use that. Only thing I can think of is the partition size is different for Hong Kong versions so it give the errors as you try to flash a different version.

Annoying but it doesn't appear to have happened to others - maybe they are content to use ROMs from the country their CSC is set to?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread