5,598,397 Members 48,101 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Clarification on What is exactly is Rom2SD?

Tip us?

Jimbo31323
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Clarification on What is exactly is Rom2SD?

Greetings,

I'm currently running Cromi and have become interested in Rom2SD
From what I understand I need a sandisk ultra (30mbs) card which is a minisd
Then I install a version of Cromi with Rom2sd and install another version,

I read that it makes the tablet snappier/faster,
What I don't understand is why
Is this linked to the tablets 1gb memory?
Would using a 16gb memory card allow me to use 2-4gb of memory and increase response/peppyness

It lags frequently making it undesirable for use

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 610
You can look at it this way:
Imagine you have a computer or tablet with two hard drives (or SD cards) installed. One is cheap slow memory resulting in slow read/write speed, the other one allows much faster read/write speeds.
Which one would be better suited to run your system?

With rom2sd you basically install a better and faster SD card to your tablet (in form of a microSD). You install the rom and all your apps to the faster card resulting in better performance. Your old (internal) card is still accessible as storage but has (almost) no role in the actual running of the system.
Does this make sense?

BTW, if you are running CROMi-X on internal and your tablet is sluggish you should investigate why. That's not normal and whenever a user reports lag on CROMi-X it always turned out to be: one dirty flash too many, outdated bootloader, user installed apps - or something similar.

Personally I get better Quadrant scores with rom2sd, but in my day-to-day operation I don't really notice a difference between the two. At least as long as I keep fsync off on internal
The Following User Says Thank You to berndblb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 11267

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb View Post
You can look at it this way:
Imagine you have a computer or tablet with two hard drives (or SD cards) installed. One is cheap slow memory resulting in slow read/write speed, the other one allows much faster read/write speeds.
Which one would be better suited to run your system?

With rom2sd you basically install a better and faster SD card to your tablet (in form of a microSD). You install the rom and all your apps to the faster card resulting in better performance. Your old (internal) card is still accessible as storage but has (almost) no role in the actual running of the system.
Does this make sense?

BTW, if you are running CROMi-X on internal and your tablet is sluggish you should investigate why. That's not normal and whenever a user reports lag on CROMi-X it always turned out to be: one dirty flash too many, outdated bootloader, user installed apps - or something similar.

Personally I get better Quadrant scores with rom2sd, but in my day-to-day operation I don't really notice a difference between the two. At least as long as I keep fsync off on internal
Indeed I'm still on 5.2.3 odex from Dec 16 and running internal with fsync off and I don't get any lags at all. In fact I would say that the tab is running extremely smoothly
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700 Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700 Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700 Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201 Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10

ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T

Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!

Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X Development

Jimbo31323
Old
(Last edited by Jimbo31323; 6th January 2014 at 12:00 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hmm Dirty FLash??
I reset after reboot would that help?
Is it advisable to reformat SDCARD as well?
How can I check bootloader version or update?
I thought Cromi-X came with bootloader or I might have missed a step,

Is it recommended to update bootloader -> Clean INstall Cromi-x?

If so how should I go about, currently on Cromi-X newest Release, used twrp to install last week

Appreciate the input and help, tired of my girl who uses a IPAD 3 talking smack

Svashtar
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I have opposite experience to those mentioned here.
Yes, CROMI-X runs very very smoothly right after install.
But after a month or so, it is so unbearable i have this moments when i am just about to throw it out of the window (3rd floor) and save me some stress using it forever. It annoys me so much i want to scream sometimes.

I don't know what it is that it slows it down so much, but from 700 tablet i never expected this in first place.

Example:
opening chrome - sometimes fast, sometimes slow
immediately trying to stop loading of the opened page as i don't want to wait for it - but before it registers my touch sometimes takes 30s or a minute
pressing address box for manual input - another minute or more
waiting for keyboard to actually show - another minute
typing an address - another minute

By this time i am already annoyed and just press power button - more luck next time.
And this goes on and on and on.

It is weird as sometimes it really is fast, but than, most of the time is just waiting and waiting and bitching.

If someone can tell me what apps could be slowing it down, i would appreciate it.

Bad karma tablet all the way.