[Q] Post your RAM here!

Tip us?

CedricAndroidlover
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_doyland View Post
Do not worry about the RAM usage. RAM is there to be used. There is no point in the system keeping lots of RAM free, this makes the system perform worse. The idea is that as apps are used (either started by the user or automatically started when an app is woken etc) they are of course using RAM, the system keeps them in RAM so they can quickly be accessed next time they are required.

If the system closed all apps etc to free RAM you basically end up with more free RAM, but for what purpose. No use it sitting there empty - may as well go and buy a phone with 128MB rather than 1024MB if you dont want to use much RAM

If you start an app that needs a lot of RAM (more than is currently free) the system just removes older apps from RAM to free up the RAM required.

It is not worth comparing your phone's normal RAM usage to another phone, each person has different apps and uses the phone in different ways. It makes no sense at all to compare two phones where RAM is concerned.

Obviously there is the possibility that an app has a memory leak and starts to eat all the RAM up, but you would then most lilkely notice something was up with the phone, eg it slows down, things stop working etc. At that point you would reboot and note the RAM, then use the phone and monitor RAM every so often, at some point you may noitce RAM use going up and up to 100% - hopefully you are using a monitoring too to tell whats eating all the RAM and you then delete the app.

If your phone is running fine and you have some free RAM, even if just a smallish amount, then most likely things are running just as they should.

I am a UNIX sys admin and we have AIX (IBM's UNIX) servers with huge amounts of RAM, eg one Im looking at now has 130GB of RAM and its 98.7% used. Thats a good thing as we are making good use of the expensive RAM, if it was 50% used we'd be wasting 65GB of RAM which costs money.
Thanks buddy. You made this thread closed. Thumbs up

doctor_droid
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_doyland
Do not worry about the RAM usage. RAM is there to be used. There is no point in the system keeping lots of RAM free, this makes the system perform worse. The idea is that as apps are used (either started by the user or automatically started when an app is woken etc) they are of course using RAM, the system keeps them in RAM so they can quickly be accessed next time they are required.

If the system closed all apps etc to free RAM you basically end up with more free RAM, but for what purpose. No use it sitting there empty - may as well go and buy a phone with 128MB rather than 1024MB if you dont want to use much RAM

If you start an app that needs a lot of RAM (more than is currently free) the system just removes older apps from RAM to free up the RAM required.

It is not worth comparing your phone's normal RAM usage to another phone, each person has different apps and uses the phone in different ways. It makes no sense at all to compare two phones where RAM is concerned.

Obviously there is the possibility that an app has a memory leak and starts to eat all the RAM up, but you would then most lilkely notice something was up with the phone, eg it slows down, things stop working etc. At that point you would reboot and note the RAM, then use the phone and monitor RAM every so often, at some point you may noitce RAM use going up and up to 100% - hopefully you are using a monitoring too to tell whats eating all the RAM and you then delete the app.

If your phone is running fine and you have some free RAM, even if just a smallish amount, then most likely things are running just as they should.

I am a UNIX sys admin and we have AIX (IBM's UNIX) servers with huge amounts of RAM, eg one Im looking at now has 130GB of RAM and its 98.7% used. Thats a good thing as we are making good use of the expensive RAM, if it was 50% used we'd be wasting 65GB of RAM which costs money.
One of the best explainations i have ever read ... Hats off

scott_doyland
Old
(Last edited by scott_doyland; 6th January 2014 at 05:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 129
With regards to 4.3 v 4.4. Some processes have to always be running and therefore use RAM, ie android operating system processes. Google have made kitkat use less RAM (don't know how as actual coding of OS's isn't something I know about).

The outcome is the OS itself uses less RAM which leaves more RAM for apps. It means you can potentially have more apps 'running', but in general on devices with plenty of RAM its not that relevant. For devices with less RAM it becomes more relevant really as the device will run smoother if it has more RAM spare (ie not in use by OS) to keep apps in memory, which is why 4.4 should run on lower spec devices than 4.3 can run on.

Bear in mind a PlayStation 3 has 256MB RAM and 256MB video RAM and look at the games you can run on there. Slightly different as the ps3 OS probably swaps/pages memory to disk but AFAIK android doesn't, but it gives an idea of what you can do with 1GB of memory on a phone
The Following User Says Thank You to scott_doyland For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kieranc88
Old
(Last edited by kieranc88; 6th January 2014 at 06:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 39
Theoretically KitKat utilises ram more efficiently,when Google introduced project butter in jelly bean it added bulk to android,all those jellybeans and butter made android get fat, with KitKat they introduced project svelte to minimize the bulk and make the os leaner,Google reckons KitKat can run smoothly on 512 mb of ram, whereas jellybean,but don't quote me needs at least 1 mb I think to operate smoothly.I run a lot of apps and at least 11 xposed modules and I usually have Around 200 mb of free ram.just let android do its job,although saying that I do greenify Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-06-18-07-36.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	2498561  

cra1g321
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Moto G UK with KitKat US (rooted)

This is just the phone idle after a couple of minutes, of turning it on.

No applications open, and i did remove the Moto Care and Motorola Assist using Titanium Backup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	254
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	2498583  

alfick3
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_doyland View Post

I'm an IBM tech and repair those types of servers. I work on everything from Power 7 down to the Power 4 and disk storage and tape libraries.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

scott_doyland
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfick3 View Post
I'm an IBM tech and repair those types of servers. I work on everything from Power 7 down to the Power 4 and disk storage and tape libraries.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk
Off-topic but I actually stopped being an AIX sysadmin 3 or so years ago and now Iook after IBM SVC, DS8K's V7000's, VTL, TSM etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to scott_doyland For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]