Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] first time trying to install new rom on NOTE 2 - aroma installer freeze

OP kaceps

6th January 2014, 03:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

32 posts
Hello. As you can guess, I need help.
I'm trying to install a custom rom, but the installation seem to stop on the aroma installer

quick background :
I have already installed custom roms on a few other devices ( kindle fire, HTC desire, and desire HD )
First time trying it on my Note2 N7100.
I spent about 5/6 hours reading the forums, trying to sort out what I was going to do. Here is what I tried.

I start from stock, never touched 4.1.2
I use Odin and flash Philz recovery 6.07.9
Reboot on said recovery, go to wipe and clean to install new rom
install rom, select zip from external SDCARD
Select DitoNote3
aroma start ...
I see conditions, accept
I see changelog, press next.
And nothing happens. Screen stay the same, installer doesn't respond to anything or gives any sign of being installing anything.
After about 5 minutes, I decided to reboot the phone. I can still reboot in recovery.
I tried with phoenix rom. Pretty much the same, except if happened when I pressed backup EFS

So, is this step supposed to be extra long and without any indication about what is happening ?
Is there anything that can make the aroma installer crash like that ?
Any help welcome.

In the meantime, I will be downloading pre-rooted stock and try to flash one of those.

Edit : I am now considering the possibility that readng and external SDcard is what's causing crashs. But I do not have rom images on the phone memory, and already wiped system.
Any way to access internal memory from recovery to copy rom and try flashing purely from internal memory ?
Last edited by kaceps; 6th January 2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: additional info
7th January 2014, 12:33 AM   |  #2  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 229

1,105 posts
More
It is a bug in recovery with Aroma. You have to use version 5.xx not 6.xx.
7th January 2014, 01:54 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Corner of the earth
Thanks Meter: 1,096

2,100 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceps

I'm trying to install a custom rom, but the installation seem to stop on the aroma installer

quick background :
I have already installed custom roms on a few other devices ( kindle fire, HTC desire, and desire HD )
I spent about 5/6 hours reading the forums, trying to sort out what I was going to do. Here is what I tried.

Select DitoNote3
aroma start ...
I see conditions, accept
And nothing happens. Screen stay the same, installer doesn't respond to anything or gives any sign of being installing anything.
After about 5 minutes, I decided to reboot the phone. I can still reboot in recovery.
I tried with phoenix rom. Pretty much the same, except if happened when I pressed backup EFS

So, is this step supposed to be extra long and without any indication about what is happening ?
Any help welcome.

In the meantime, I will be downloading pre-rooted stock and try to flash one of those.

Edit : I am now considering the possibility that readng and external SDcard is what's causing crashs. But I do not have rom images on the phone memory, and already wiped system.
Any way to access internal memory from recovery to copy rom and try flashing purely from internal memory ?

He he he. .
As dalanik said... it's a "bug" or perhaps u can say a wellknown issue with aroma installer.
Just try again and again. It will work.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
7th January 2014, 07:53 AM   |  #4  
In the eye of the tornado
Thanks Meter: 87

365 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceps

quick background :

Select DitoNote3
aroma start ...
I see conditions, accept

Any help welcome.

Download TWRP, flash it with Philz and flash the rom using TWRP. Most of the times aroma installer works on Philz too, but when it freezes you should try on twrp. It always works
7th January 2014, 08:03 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1,139

1,866 posts
Most 4.3-Roms work best with Philz 5.15 as many developers suggest in their installation advice.
7th January 2014, 01:25 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

32 posts
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidwizzard

Most 4.3-Roms work best with Philz 5.15 as many developers suggest in their installation advice.

Thank you all !
As you suggested, running philz 5.15 worked.

Sorry I missed that point when reading. Or rather, I supposed Roms maker where suggesting 5.15 recovery because it was the only one available at the time they wrote the guide, and I might as well go for the latest version.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
aroma, dn3, n7100
Previous Thread Next Thread