Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Unable to locate/choose correct stock ROM.

OP mat_919

7th January 2014, 04:00 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hello everyone, I decided to finally write for directions, because the more I read, the more confused I get.

I apologize in advance if I am in a wrong thread.

Although I spent already hundreds of hours of reading about rooting, flashing etc it is hard to find simple, specific answers regarding my device, partially due to vast number of ROM builds for different countries. I downloaded mskip Toolkit in April 2012, to root my GN2 I found it, at the time to be easiest, most comprehensive tool to use, and although I did it like a blind peson in a dark room, it worked. So after almost 9 months of having stock ROM, TWRP recovery and unable to get OTA updates
I wanted to experience new and different ROMs. I would love to check out CM or Phoenix ROM.

Firstly, I wanted to get stock ROM for my N7100, so I could flash it back to original, out of the box condition if I ever need to sell it. There are many good guides but these assume your county of residence as source of your ROM Here is my first obstacle which is my stock ROM?

I purchased my international GN2 on newegg.com and there are no ROMs for United States other than
for specific US carrier. I use Straight Talk, which runs on ATT network.
Then comparing (via *#1234#) my:

AP:N7100UBDMA3,

CP:N7100UBDMA1

CSC:N7100UUBDMA2

found somewhere that these are identical with 4.1.2 Argentinian ARO ROMs.

Purchased Triangle Away, getting ready for stock flash, but Triangle Away says "Status unknown", ODIN mode however reports 2 flashes. Why? Does it have to do with how phone was rooted? Using Toolkit?

Now Toolkit reports under "Device information
"country code: TTT" which is Trinidad and Tobago

Now I am completely confused.

Therefore I have many questions. Can I flash my N7100 with, let's say, US ATT SCH-l317 stock ROM

If not, which is correct stock ROM for above build numbers? When looking for a ROM which number is
most important one, to compare with? Baseband? Build number on the bottom of "About device page?

If I don't find exact builds, which one I should use the (closest one by build number, frequency).
Can i flush the most popular (or most developed) ROMs from let's say India, UK, or Poland? I am

completely lost. Thank you for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-06-20-18-59.png
Views:	143
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	2499447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-06-20-18-41.png
Views:	120
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	2499448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-06-20-18-07.png
Views:	112
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	2499449  
7th January 2014, 09:59 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,015

1,733 posts
First try to use Kies to see what update it suggests, then take a look at http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/.
Compare and avoid an update which contains Knox, try to find a Knox-free stock rom here on XDA or even using Google.
Good Luck!

Edit: "Status unknown" is the normal message you get from triangle away, as far as I've experienced.
Last edited by Androidwizzard; 7th January 2014 at 10:04 AM.
7th January 2014, 02:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidwizzard

First try to use Kies to see what update it suggests, then take a look at...
Compare and avoid an update which contains Knox, try to find a Knox-free stock rom here on XDA or even using Google.
Good Luck!

Edit: "Status unknown" is the normal message you get from triangle away, as far as I've experienced.

Thank you! Awesome advice! Indeed Kies suggested TTT ROM, (which is Trinidad and Tobago, how weird is that).
So it seems that what should care about is last three characters of PDA ROM version, right?
I read about Knox just to know enough to avoid it. Thanks.
So now I am downloading 4.1.2 stock version of my ROM, after that Triangle away.... ODIN.... Reboot in download mode.... flash.... and I should have out-of-the-box phone, right?
Now, what about when I want to use Phoenix ROM or any other ROM for that matter, that was build on whatever ( for example XXUDMJ1 stock ROM from Israel let's say) can I use that? I doubt that I can find custom ROM based on my TTT stock. What then?
Various online tutorials, guides or Youtube videos, don't even mention checking original ROM. It just say.... download from "here" and flash.
What's that about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upgrade_suggestion.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	2500157  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread