5,594,653 Members 32,640 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why does samsung update their firmware based on regions?

Tip us?

din89pm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Why does samsung update their firmware based on regions?

There are many samsung firmware builds, just for i9505 and i9500 itself there are many different firmware variations.
From what I understand, different regions uses different modems am I right? If not, then why do Samsung update their firmware based on different regions?

When Android 4.3 was released, it was released as per region and to Russia first. Why cant they just send out one uniform update OTA to all devices of that model? If its because of the modems, then why dont other manufacturers like HTC do the same? They are able to push out one HTC update for all international HTC phones...

x102x96x
Old
Thanks Meter 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by din89pm View Post
There are many samsung firmware builds, just for i9505 and i9500 itself there are many different firmware variations.
From what I understand, different regions uses different modems am I right? If not, then why do Samsung update their firmware based on different regions?

When Android 4.3 was released, it was released as per region and to Russia first. Why cant they just send out one uniform update OTA to all devices of that model? If its because of the modems, then why dont other manufacturers like HTC do the same? They are able to push out one HTC update for all international HTC phones...
it s not always because of bandwidth traffics
sometimes they release firmware for test if someone find bug and then solve it for another region (and also with minor update for first regions)
htc released update for htc one world-wide But how u compare samsung with htc
S4 was one of the best sell in history of smartphone (always samsung device do this) so thr s more s4 users than htc one
also it happened for some device for sony xperia
SO be patient
However u can flash stocks roms
download flashable zip of ROM from another region and flash it via Odin
completely stock and without warranty void...

Java.Symbian.WP8.iOS4/5/6/7
Android; Fy \GB \ICS \JB \KK \CustomROM
Devices; Nexus \Xperia \Galaxy \LG \htc \Lenovo
./Android-Ubuntu Developing & Programming

>>> XperiaSmallApp & GalaxyMultiWindow & AndroidWear <<<
SonyXperiaZ2...
SamsungGalaxyNoteIII
;
N900 /NC1
GoogleNexus5; D821 /kXk | KOT49H | CM11 | Ubuntu |
CM11 (In Use)
GoogleNexus7; Grouper /kXk | JB-KK | Ubuntu |
BT5 & CM11 (In Use)

din89pm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by x102x96x View Post
it s not always because of bandwidth traffics
sometimes they release firmware for test if someone find bug and then solve it for another region (and also with minor update for first regions)
htc released update for htc one world-wide But how u compare samsung with htc
S4 was one of the best sell in history of smartphone (always samsung device do this) so thr s more s4 users than htc one
also it happened for some device for sony xperia
SO be patient
However u can flash stocks roms
download flashable zip of ROM from another region and flash it via Odin
completely stock and without warranty void...
Actually the purpose of this post is to gain some knowledge on how Samsung update goes on... I am very patient I am not rushing to the point I need to flash a custom ROM. So you are saying that each region has their own Samsung tech guy that will work on the initial release to fix bugs before passing to another region?

There are not just more variants of firmware in s4, but also the same for any samsung phone. Does anyone else have their opinion on this matter as well? I would like to get feedback on what people think behind samsung's update procedure.

mr.death7
Old
(Last edited by mr.death7; 5th January 2014 at 03:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I'm also interested in having an answer on the subject. If I can flash a firmware from another region on my phone, what's the purpose of having several firmwares...Besides some tweaks apparently.

Wouldn't it be more interesting if all the developers from Samsung focused on the same firmware to eliminate the bugs more rapidly for example? I don't really see the link between several firmwares and the number of users. Ok, the S4 sold by millions, and?

Thanks.
HTC Legend with ROM Baked Black Bean (Android 4.1.2)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2188495

theunderling
Old
Thanks Meter 748

DONATE TO ME
What difference does it make.As long as your getting your updates, why would you care about any other region.
Are you doing a Samsung case study or preparing a lawsuit; otherwise email CEO of Samsung.

I can post his tag if needed..lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to theunderling For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vladimir_carlan
Old
Thanks Meter 41
The time discrepancy its coming from carriers. Most of them wants to integrate their own bloatwares in their phones. And some are doing faster than others. That's why there's so many region specific firmwares when its about Touchwiz. You won't see region specific firmwares for Google Play Edition.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vladimir_carlan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mr.death7
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir_carlan View Post
The time discrepancy its coming from carriers. Most of them wants to integrate their own bloatwares in their phones. And some are doing faster than others. That's why there's so many region specific firmwares when its about Touchwiz. You won't see region specific firmwares for Google Play Edition.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
Indeed, seems the most obvious reason... I just wanted to be sure that besides the bloatware, the Android version underneath was the same.
Thanks for your intel!
HTC Legend with ROM Baked Black Bean (Android 4.1.2)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2188495

Tags
firmware, region