What upgrade path would you go from 4.2.2 JDQ39.MDL?

OP Raistlin1

6th January 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 89

905 posts
More
I just picked up an S4 that has not been upgraded to 4.3 and Knox, this phone will be for my wife and I will root it and it needs wireless/wifi tether. I would like for her to be on the latest 4.3 ROM with root and that is all.

So, which way should I upgrade?

OTA to 4.3 and have a knox bootloader and then root the phone using CFautoroot? (not sure if this method sticks from what I have read)

Root the 4.2.2 and keep bootloader same, flash recovery (which one?) and then flash stock 4.3 rom? (I am not sure how to do this yet)?

I am coming from a Sprint SII (I have a Nexus 5 now though) so I am familiar with using Odin and flashing but that phone had the kernel and recovery in one and this phone has them separate.

Thanks and any tips would be appreciated, I will be going over this forum tonight when I get home from work but of course would like some immediate help/info, which is why I am asking before searching.

Thanks
7th January 2014, 07:48 PM   |  #2  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 8

16 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1

I just picked up an S4 that has not been upgraded to 4.3 and Knox, this phone will be for my wife and I will root it and it needs wireless/wifi tether. I would like for her to be on the latest 4.3 ROM with root and that is all.

So, which way should I upgrade?

OTA to 4.3 and have a knox bootloader and then root the phone using CFautoroot? (not sure if this method sticks from what I have read)

Root the 4.2.2 and keep bootloader same, flash recovery (which one?) and then flash stock 4.3 rom? (I am not sure how to do this yet)?

I am coming from a Sprint SII (I have a Nexus 5 now though) so I am familiar with using Odin and flashing but that phone had the kernel and recovery in one and this phone has them separate.

Thanks and any tips would be appreciated, I will be going over this forum tonight when I get home from work but of course would like some immediate help/info, which is why I am asking before searching.

Thanks

Personally, I never perform upgrades via OTA. Root the device if you haven't already,

I recommend you flash the firmware/modem-only--this will keep from having the bootloader locked with knox. You can get it from Unknownforce here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42954144.

Install the latest version of TWRP then install a custom ROM. I highly recommend Sacs ROM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread