Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

[Q] Can't flash VRALEC bootchain or anything else, soft brick

OP Securitom

7th January 2014, 10:56 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
I restored my phone to factory default recently, with the intent of moving on to a new Cyanogenmod version. After the factory settings were restored, it took an OTA update to 4.1.2. I then tried following the guide on androidable to root it (would post the link, but apparently newbies can't)

After trying and failing several times to flash the VRALEC bootchain to my phone (I am not sure why it failed, Odin just gave me an error message every time I tried), I decided to go back to factory default again, thinking 4.0.0 would accept the VRALEC bootchain and that 4.1.2 might be the issue, but after flashing the stock image again I get the yellow triangle of death.

I have since tried flashing the VRALEC and VRBMD3 bootchains, tried flashing clockworkmod recovery, and though the phone appears to take the stock image and VRBMD3, I can't get past the yellow triangle screen on startup. Because of this, I can't check to see if USB debugging is still enabled, and I can't access the phone memory to attempt to delete whatever software is causing the issue.

Is anybody able to help me?

UPDATE: I followed the entire guide here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...2&d=1341959095

I successfully flashed VRALF and Root66, but VRALEC would still not install. While the rest of the process transpired as described in the guide, the end result is still giving me the yellow triangle of death.

UPDATE 2: When trying to flash VRALEC, this is the output message I get from odin

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> VRALEC.bootchain.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
Last edited by Securitom; 7th January 2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Update
7th January 2014, 01:22 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,977

5,510 posts
More
Could you post exactly what's on your screen when you just boot into download mode? Secondly, are you absolutely positive that you accepted OTAs up to 4.1.2? Any chance you accepted 4.3?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
7th January 2014, 03:26 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,552

5,260 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Securitom

I restored my phone to factory default recently, with the intent of moving on to a new Cyanogenmod version. After the factory settings were restored, it took an OTA update to 4.1.2. I then tried following the guide on androidable to root it (would post the link, but apparently newbies can't)

After trying and failing several times to flash the VRALEC bootchain to my phone (I am not sure why it failed, Odin just gave me an error message every time I tried), I decided to go back to factory default again, thinking 4.0.0 would accept the VRALEC bootchain and that 4.1.2 might be the issue, but after flashing the stock image again I get the yellow triangle of death.

I have since tried flashing the VRALEC and VRBMD3 bootchains, tried flashing clockworkmod recovery, and though the phone appears to take the stock image and VRBMD3, I can't get past the yellow triangle screen on startup. Because of this, I can't check to see if USB debugging is still enabled, and I can't access the phone memory to attempt to delete whatever software is causing the issue.

Is anybody able to help me?

UPDATE: I followed the entire guide here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...2&d=1341959095

I successfully flashed VRALF and Root66, but VRALEC would still not install. While the rest of the process transpired as described in the guide, the end result is still giving me the yellow triangle of death.

UPDATE 2: When trying to flash VRALEC, this is the output message I get from odin

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> VRALEC.bootchain.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Did you use the bootloader option when you tried to flash the Boot chain VRALEC. Don't use PDA option.
7th January 2014, 06:39 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

Did you use the bootloader option when you tried to flash the Boot chain VRALEC. Don't use PDA option.

I tried it both ways, no results on either.

I confirmed that I didn't get 4.3 because I checked in the "about phone" right after I did that.

Download mode screen shows the following:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (1 counts)
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
Warranty bit: 1
BOOTLOADER AP SWAEV: 1
7th January 2014, 06:56 PM   |  #5  

5,510 posts
More
Quote:

I confirmed that I didn't get 4.3 because I checked in the "about phone" right after I did that.

ODIN MODE

I hate to tell it to you but that's the latest 4.3 VRUCML1 software. Download mode for 4.1.2 and older only has (notice what is missing):

ODIN MODE
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD:

You'll need to do this soft brick method to recover. Since you're on 4.3, you can not flash a custom recovery, custom rom/kernel, nor downgrade your software via Odin to anything except 4.3.
7th January 2014, 07:03 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1,552

5,260 posts
Quote:

ODIN MODE

What Odin version did you use? Try different Odin version see if it helps. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2189539 Also reboot your PC to start fresh. If still not working then try to reflash with Pit file and MF1 full stock rom using Odin.
7th January 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS

I hate to tell it to you but that's the latest 4.3 VRUCML1 software. Download mode for 4.1.2 and older only has (notice what is missing):

ODIN MODE
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD:

You'll need to do this soft brick method to recover. Since you're on 4.3, you can not flash a custom recovery, custom rom/kernel, nor downgrade your software via Odin to anything except 4.3.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! You brought my phone back from the dead!

So I'm stuck only using the stock firmware for the rest of the phone's life? Unfortunate, but at least it's not bricked anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Securitom For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th January 2014, 07:56 PM   |  #8  

5,510 posts
More
Quote:

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! You brought my phone back from the dead!

So I'm stuck only using the stock firmware for the rest of the phone's life? Unfortunate, but at least it's not bricked anymore.

My pleasure but all of the thanks is owed to @ThePagel. Make sure to drop by his soft brick thread (the one that worked!) and express your success! I feel the more people that express their success there, the less fear down the road someone else may have with the method.

As of this moment, all anyone knows is that you're stuck on TW 4.3 unless a tool is ported to allow custom roms/kernels. You can only root 4.3 using Saferoot which is linked in our TW 4.3 discussion thread. You can be sure if any big developments on cracking 4.3 open will be covered there.

The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread