5,595,691 Members 44,232 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone stuck "Optimizing apps" after upgrading rom

Tip us?
 
CaffeinatedGuy
Old
(Last edited by CaffeinatedGuy; 7th January 2014 at 09:16 PM.) Reason: adding info
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default [Q] Phone stuck "Optimizing apps" after upgrading rom

Long time visitor, first time poster.

Upgraded rom today when I found of there was an official 4.3 upgrade for the Verizon GS3. Looked around and found this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2600305 Before that, I was on the last official stock, flashed deodexed rom.

Installed rom zip via CWM, rebooted. After loading screen, it starts upgrading apps. It got stuck on 82 of 601. After 15 minutes, I booted into recovery and wiped cache (failed to do this during initial install, it never was a problem before). Reboot, gets stuck on 93 of 465. Hard reboot, total number keeps going down, but keeps sticking.

After several hard reboots (pulling the battery), I got it down to 1 of 1, but it won't go any further. It's been about an hour.

What do I do next?

While waiting for ideas, I'll hard reset, boot into recovery, wipe cache again, and see what happens.

Edit: Wiped cache partition from CWM, rebooted, still stuck at 1 of 1.
 
Mtsprite
Old
#2  
Mtsprite's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 66
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeinatedGuy View Post
Long time visitor, first time poster.

Upgraded rom today when I found of there was an official 4.3 upgrade for the Verizon GS3. Looked around and found this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2600305 Before that, I was on the last official stock, flashed deodexed rom.

Installed rom zip via CWM, rebooted. After loading screen, it starts upgrading apps. It got stuck on 82 of 601. After 15 minutes, I booted into recovery and wiped cache (failed to do this during initial install, it never was a problem before). Reboot, gets stuck on 93 of 465. Hard reboot, total number keeps going down, but keeps sticking.

After several hard reboots (pulling the battery), I got it down to 1 of 1, but it won't go any further. It's been about an hour.

What do I do next?

While waiting for ideas, I'll hard reset, boot into recovery, wipe cache again, and see what happens.

Edit: Wiped cache partition from CWM, rebooted, still stuck at 1 of 1.
I believe you may need to use ODIN to manualy re-flash the 4.3 update. NOTE: This will lock your bootloader, but seeing as how you have already upgraded it already is.
Phone: Galaxy S3
Android Version: 4.4.2
Recovery: Philz Touch CWM
Current ROM: Liquid Smooth 3.0
Kernel: KT747
Baseband: ML1
 
CaffeinatedGuy
Old
(Last edited by CaffeinatedGuy; 7th January 2014 at 09:44 PM.) Reason: remove info
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtsprite View Post
I believe you may need to use ODIN to manualy re-flash the 4.3 update. NOTE: This will lock your bootloader, but seeing as how you have already upgraded it already is.
Do I specifically need to find a rom that is Odin flashable, or should I try another zipped package flashed through recovery?
 
BadUsername
Old
#4  
BadUsername's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 501
Posts: 1,119
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeinatedGuy View Post
Do I specifically need to find a rom that is Odin flashable, or should I try another zipped package flashed through recovery?
Don't use Odin to flash the official tar file, you'll lock your bootloader and you'll be stuck.

Wiping dalvik cache should work, but if it doesn't then do this.

In recovery factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, format system, then format internal sd card (this will erase everything on your phone). Then reflash the rom again.



Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtsprite View Post
I believe you may need to use ODIN to manualy re-flash the 4.3 update. NOTE: This will lock your bootloader, but seeing as how you have already upgraded it already is.
His bootloader is not locked, he never upgraded to the official 4.3 ota.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
CaffeinatedGuy
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
Don't use Odin to flash the official tar file, you'll lock your bootloader and you'll be stuck.

Wiping dalvik cache should work, but if it doesn't then do this.

In recovery factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, format system, then format internal sd card (this will erase everything on your phone). Then reflash the rom again.
I wanted to try something else before formatting the card and having to deal with that, so I downloaded the zipped rom here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2591895

From CWM I wiped cache (again), wiped dalvik (again), and installed rom. On reboot, went through app optimization without any problems.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but I fixed it by using a different rom.

Thank you for the help.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes