XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kindle Fire HD 2013 Version Bricked - Need Help

Tip us?

Hyperiunn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Kindle Fire HD 2013 Version Bricked - Need Help

Hey, I recently rooted my Kindle Fire HD and everything was working great, until I installed an Xposed tweak that caused my Kindle to start boot looping and then thereafter I went ahead and screwed it up even worse - by messing with various fastboot methods to get it working again. Yeah... I should have just left it as it was, I know...

I've read about how there are signature checks whenever the Kindle boots up which I'm assuming I don't have anymore. So, I'm curious if there is anyway to come back from this? From what I've read, if I had backed up the partitions, technically I should have been able to restore them - but unfortunately here we are.

I've also downloaded the latest update from Amazon 'update-kindle-11.3.1.0_user_310084920' and after converting it to a zip file, there is a 'boot.img' and a 'recovery.img' which I would assume would have the signatures already within them, but no system.img. Is there anyway for someone to create an exact backup of that file, or is that not possible right now without a second bootloader?

I'm honestly really unsure of what to do here, I've tried a myriad of different approaches and still it looks like this is a bad brick... However I do hope someone out there has a solution, I'd love to get this device working again.

Oh and what happens whenever I start it up, is that I just get the Amazon Kindle Fire Logo (Pure White), without any changes. It doesn't turn gold with the animation or anything.

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperiunn View Post
Hey, I recently rooted my Kindle Fire HD and everything was working great, until I installed an Xposed tweak that caused my Kindle to start boot looping and then thereafter I went ahead and screwed it up even worse - by messing with various fastboot methods to get it working again. Yeah... I should have just left it as it was, I know...

I've read about how there are signature checks whenever the Kindle boots up which I'm assuming I don't have anymore. So, I'm curious if there is anyway to come back from this? From what I've read, if I had backed up the partitions, technically I should have been able to restore them - but unfortunately here we are.

I've also downloaded the latest update from Amazon 'update-kindle-11.3.1.0_user_310084920' and after converting it to a zip file, there is a 'boot.img' and a 'recovery.img' which I would assume would have the signatures already within them, but no system.img. Is there anyway for someone to create an exact backup of that file, or is that not possible right now without a second bootloader?

I'm honestly really unsure of what to do here, I've tried a myriad of different approaches and still it looks like this is a bad brick... However I do hope someone out there has a solution, I'd love to get this device working again.

Oh and what happens whenever I start it up, is that I just get the Amazon Kindle Fire Logo (Pure White), without any changes. It doesn't turn gold with the animation or anything.
The 2013 Kindle Fire HD is not setup for Xposed yet. There is no bootloader access yet therefore there is no way to recover yet. You have two options at this point. Wait until there is a bootloader exploit or contact Amazon for an exchange.

The only things available are root, remove OTA updates and remove lock screen ads. Even Google Play is only for window shopping at the moment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841

Hyperiunn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation View Post
The 2013 Kindle Fire HD is not setup for Xposed yet. There is no bootloader access yet therefore there is no way to recover yet. You have two options at this point. Wait until there is a bootloader exploit or contact Amazon for an exchange.

The only things available are root, remove OTA updates and remove lock screen ads. Even Google Play is only for window shopping at the moment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
For anyone wondering, xposed actually works perfectly with a good number of modules, but don't install Xthemeengine, that'll cause the bootloop.

Gamingmayr
Old
(Last edited by Gamingmayr; 5th January 2014 at 03:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default Fastboot

As long as you can boot into fastboot-mode nothing is lost. (if you can't -> buy a fastboot-cable. it is much cheaper than a new Kindle. They cost about 15$).
I used this useful tool. It just flashes the old system, boot and recovery on your Kindle. (all files are included in the downloadable zip file).
This tool was very useful for me and saved my Kindle very often (I am a real flashoholic...). Maybe there is something like this for the new 2013 KFHD too?

Hyperiunn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamingmayr View Post
As long as you can boot into fastboot-mode nothing is lost. (if you can't -> buy a fastboot-cable. it is much cheaper than a new Kindle. They cost about 15$).
I used this useful tool. It just flashes the old system, boot and recovery on your Kindle. (all files are included in the downloadable zip file).
This tool was very useful for me and saved my Kindle very often (I am a real flashoholic...). Maybe there is something like this for the new 2013 KFHD too?
Nah nothing so far for the 2013 unfortunately. I don't think there's been much interest in this model as of yet.

Ph0enix_216
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Nah nothing so far for the 2013 unfortunately. I don't think there's been much interest in this model as of yet.
I've been interested. Unfortunately, my mother won't let me touch her new 2013 Fire HD. Still, if you can find someone who's rooted and not bricked, maybe they could backup their boot, system, and recovery .imgs for you and post them for you. And since they're already rooted, you would be too (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If I could get a temporary root or find a way to remove root later I would back them up for you.

The system restore tool for the 2012 Fire HD flashes the boot, recovery, and system partitions. Theoretically, the same tool would work, but only if you replaced the .img files with the ones for the 2013 Fire HD.

Phone: ZTE Valet Z665C
ROM: Stock
Kernel: 3.4.0-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
Android Version: 4.1.1
Recovery: Stock
----------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: hashcode@hashcode-ubb #1
Android Version: 4.4

Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1

Want text message alerts via ADB? Click here!

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamingmayr View Post
There is no confirmation that a fastboot cord even works with the 2013 model nor are the stock images available yet. The 2012 KFHD and the 2013 KFHD do not use the same images.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Quote:
For anyone wondering, xposed actually works perfectly with a good number of modules, but don't install Xthemeengine, that'll cause the bootloop.
It won't work on the 2013 Kindle fire HD yet though. Since that is the topic here I guess that narrows it down to this tablet not all the others don't it.
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841

Hyperiunn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Fastboot cable works just fine with the one I have.