Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,554 Members 36,376 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 Touchscreen and LCD replacement experiences

Tip us?

Spatinator
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Default Nexus 7 Touchscreen and LCD replacement experiences

My Nexus 7 recently fell down and the glass broke. The digitzer doesn't work anymore but the lcd does but you would probably have to replace both as they're glued together. Now i don't know what to do as letting it repair costs almosts as much as buying a new one. The cheapest solution would be of course to do it myself but I'm not a professional and I haven't had any experiences with that. So I'm asking you about your experiences with fixing a Nexus 7 glass front and please give me tips if you have any.
Thanks

Gesendet von meinem Xperia Play mit Tapatalk

Fuzzra
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
My basic tips for hardware work:

Take your time. Look up nicely documented teardowns with step by step pictures in decent resolution. When you buy the parts for a repair, get yourself an anti-static grounding strap while you're at it - they're cheap and can save you from costly problems. Once you come to doing work, draw around your device on a bit of paper before you even open it and put any screws that come out in the corresponding place with little circles around them - you always think that you'll remember where each one came from, but won't. Take your time - that one bears repeating, because it's very easy to get frustrated with slow progress and end up bitterly regretting ten seconds as a barbarian.

The main trick is to be calm and methodical through the whole process. As long as you are, hardware repairs don't have to be the black voodoo people sometimes think they are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ycfreeman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
check all those tear down guides carefully, make sure device is off and battery is unplugged before unplugging any other cables (i've fried an lcd before because i forgot to unplug battery)
usually it is very hard to just replace the glass because they are fused / glued together, you will need to buy glass + lcd assembly

and yeah just Keep Calm and Void the Warranty

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

oh yeah, a good set of tools (iFixit) would be handy
for OG Nexus 7 it's pretty easy, you just need a guitar pick or plastic knife to pry it open
The Following User Says Thank You to ycfreeman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]