Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,416 Members 39,389 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Softbricked device help...

Tip us?

R50731205
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Softbricked device help...

So I was trying to flash my recovery using dd if=/sdcard/recoveryfilename.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

I now know it was dd if=/sdcard/recoveryfilename.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

Problem is that now the power button doesn't do anything. I can't turn it on, can't access recovery, or download. Odin does not recognize the device either.

What should I do?

BCSC
Old
(Last edited by BCSC; 8th January 2014 at 12:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by R50731205 View Post
So I was trying to flash my recovery using dd if=/sdcard/recoveryfilename.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

I now know it was dd if=/sdcard/recoveryfilename.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

Problem is that now the power button doesn't do anything. I can't turn it on, can't access recovery, or download. Odin does not recognize the device either.

What should I do?
What you have done is cooked your bootloader. The mmcblkop5 block is sopposed to have an aboot.img file there. Since you cant access recovery or download you will likely need to attempt ADB. I do not have the best knowledge of ADB, but this is the road you should be looking down. That is if you haven't completely bricked it. Your other option may be jtag.

These following threads will probably be of interest to you. There are reports of this working so you may want to follow their instruction.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2345860
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=43724690
Flashing ROMs - 60% of the time, it works every time!

/_-------------------------There it is. Go on and click it.

R50731205
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I'm not sure what to do for ADB, nor jtag. I don't even know what they are. I looked at the two links you provided, one I tried but it didn't do anything. The other wasn't applicable.
My phone is non-responsive to pressing the power button, it can't access download or recovery mode, which means odin couldn't have recognized it.

Can you expand on ADB or jtag?