5,593,293 Members 33,816 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Strange Battery/Charging Issue

Tip us?

abbaskip
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
So I took my phone to my SP - Telstra. The phone, being only about 6 months old, was still within warranty period. Not surprisingly, Telstra have said that as there is a Custom ROM on the phone, the warranty is voided. I stated that my understanding is that under Australian law, as it is a hardware fault, and not a fault caused by the ROM, the warranty still stands - however Telstra wouldn't budge and said I have 5 days to decide if I want to pay the $300+ for the repair.

What is my next course of action? Has anybody had a similar issue previously? Is the TIO the next port of call? Or should I be going to NSW Department of Fair Trading?

I'm sure I've read previously that phones are still covered under warranty after rooting etc, if it can be shown that it's a hardware fault, not a software fault. As the battery doesn't seem to be powering the phone, this clearly seems to be the case - esp. as it is the same in download mode and recovery mode.

Any help would be great. Please don't post pointing out that I rooted my phone so THAT's my own fault etc. These posts aren't helpful, I already have know that.

abbaskip
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
So I took my phone to my SP - Telstra. The phone, being only about 6 months old, was still within warranty period. Not surprisingly, Telstra have said that as there is a Custom ROM on the phone, the warranty is voided. I stated that my understanding is that under Australian law, as it is a hardware fault, and not a fault caused by the ROM, the warranty still stands - however Telstra wouldn't budge and said I have 5 days to decide if I want to pay the $300+ for the repair.

What is my next course of action? Has anybody had a similar issue previously? Is the TIO the next port of call? Or should I be going to NSW Department of Fair Trading?

I'm sure I've read previously that phones are still covered under warranty after rooting etc, if it can be shown that it's a hardware fault, not a software fault. As the battery doesn't seem to be powering the phone, this clearly seems to be the case - esp. as it is the same in download mode and recovery mode.

Any help would be great. Please don't post pointing out that I rooted my phone so THAT's my own fault etc. These posts aren't helpful, I already have know that.