[Q] Bespoke best solution for a few new features. Help please

Tip us?

MRXIII
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Bespoke best solution for a few new features. Help please

Hello everybody

I have some doubts regarding what I have just done.

I have had a kindle keyboard for a few years and was very pleased with it. Unfortunately it broke and I had to think about a replacement.
I always had a good opinion of the nook e-reader and found out that the new kindles were having a lot of problems. After reading a few reviews on internet, I also discovered this forum and got very excited about having a rooted nook and its possibilities. So I ordered a nook Simple Touch Glowlight and I rooted it two days ago with nookmanager.

I didn't install google market so I still haven't added any app nor done anything else that I would not be able to do with a nook that is not rooted. So far, the only good thing that I get from my rooted nook is the back button that appeared on the top. But I don't really like the ReLaunch interface so I stopped to think and asked myself why did I root my nook. I initially just wanted to replace my dead kindle. I don't want a tablet. I just want a e-reader with a powerful battery. What I want is:

- Be able to lock my nook with a password as with my old kindle
- Have a back button (not back as previous page on a book. Back as to take me to whatever screen I was in before)
- Be able to read in landscape

Can I achieve that without rooting ? If I can, I will happily revert my nook back to its stock condition.

If I need to have it rooted to achieve the above features, is there any rooting method lighter and less intrusive than nookmanager? Would it be enough to enable adb by following this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2122046 ? (I mean do I only need to have adb to achieve the 3 features I want ? )

Many thanks in advance.

Crispy3000
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Yes, Step one learn to use search this forum button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRXIII View Post
Hello everybody
- Be able to lock my nook with a password as with my old kindle
Yes, Lock Screen

Quote:
- Have a back button (not back as previous page on a book. Back as to take me to whatever screen I was in before)
Yes. You can already do this. Go to relaunch->applications (bottom middle)->Nook Mod Manager->Assign Keys. Personally I bind top left to back and bottom left to menu. right top and bottom to next/prev page.

Quote:
- Be able to read in landscape
Yes but only on a non-stock reader. I recommend installing cool reader, set display mode to fast update 7.
Install this to do so. Use nook mod manager to bind to a key. Personally I have a it mapped to a button on the quick menu and long press top left.

Quote:
Can I achieve that without rooting ? If I can, I will happily revert my nook back to its stock condition.

If I need to have it rooted to achieve the above features, is there any rooting method lighter and less intrusive than nookmanager? Would it be enough to enable adb by following this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2122046 ? (I mean do I only need to have adb to achieve the 3 features I want ? )
No. Relaunch is just a launcher you don't have to use it.

Benefits of rooting allows you to have a simple ebook reader that does what you mentioned above plus a lot more. You will have to spend a bit of time reading etc how to do it.

regards

Crispy

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 699
Stock reader can kind of do landscape.
Just remove the portrait only from AndroidManifest.xml
If it starts in landscape, it will be in landscape.

(Ok, this isn't convenient, you'd have to sign it with the system signature
and you have to kill it to switch orientations.)

A bit of modding would make it truly work.
The problem is, I didn't find the landscape mode compelling enough to bother.

MRXIII
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi Renate, Crispy

Thank you for your replies.

I did search on the forum, that's why I posted on the Locking screen thread before creating my post, but I got confused

So, just to be clarify, I can have lock screen and back button in a non-rooted nook if I enable adb (following the tutorial made by Renate) and install Nook Mod Manager ? Is that correct or I didn't get it correctly?

Thank you

Renate NST
Old
Thanks Meter 699
People get a bit confused talking about "rooted".
Rooted just means having root user access to a device.
It's taken on connotations in the public mind of having Google Play and the kitchen sink installed on it.
It doesn't have to mean that.

To alter most things on the Nook requires you to have root access.
To make the "n" button or the side buttons do different things you must modify software on the Nook.
You have to have root access to do that, but you could disable it afterwards.
There is no point in that because no matter what you have a modified Nook.

MRXIII
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST View Post
Rooted just means having root user access to a device.
It's taken on connotations in the public mind of having Google Play and the kitchen sink installed on it.

To alter most things on the Nook requires you to have root access.
To make the "n" button or the side buttons do different things you must modify software on the Nook.
You have to have root access to do that, but you could disable it afterwards.
There is no point in that because no matter what you have a modified Nook.
Thank you Renate.

I had never had an android device before (Don't even know what kitchen sink is) but my aim would be to achieve Lock screen and back button (I have both now) with minimal rooting.

So could I do what is listed below ?

1) Remove NookManager with all the extra things installed, and put back the backup I took
2) Then perform the minimal root explained here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2122046
3) Get the lock screen via ADB: C:>adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.ChooseLockPin
4) Install an app to re-assign the button's actions to get a back button (Is Nook Mod Manager an app on its own?)

Thank you

ApokrifX
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST View Post
I recall, you did the latter actually. That's why you had drilled a hole in it, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to ApokrifX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MRXIII
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApokrifX View Post
I recall, you did the latter actually. That's why you had drilled a hole in it, right?

How about the 4 steps I listed? Would they enable me to achieve what I want?

Thanks

MRXIII
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

How about the 4 steps I listed? Would they enable me to achieve what I want?

Thanks
Anyone?

Renate NST
Old
Thanks Meter 699
Yes, to set the lock number, that am start will work fine.
To make one of the side keys a BACK key, look here:
http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touc...ning_hard_keys