[Q] Launchers and access to personal details [new to forum]

OP vkze888

8th January 2014, 06:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hi everyone!!

I am freshmen android - thats is just converted from iOS to android to see what the hubbub was all about with my new samsung galaxy s4 - anyway there are a few things that abit concerning to me - I have the australia version of this phone and sadly the "Dock apps" at the bottom are locked and cannot be changed nor rearranged and so to remedy this I have decided to download a launcher (apex launcher) and one thing I noticed before i clicked install wass it requested access to pretty much everything on my phone including my personal details which leads me to my question:

- Does the launcher have access to ALL my personal details? If I install my banking app on this and start doing online banking, will they have access to this information such as my account numbers and everything? Same with facebook - will they have access to that information i.e my username and pw and so on?

Thankyou in advance everyone!
8th January 2014, 06:34 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 26

97 posts
Probably not,
Theoretically yes,
Stick to the market and do not download apps from untrusted sources,
Same goes for any system,
Ever have a program ask for admin privledges to make changes to this computer on Windows? Same thing, except on Android that data the apps get access to is divided so that apps don't gein universal privlages to just access everything, they have to specify exactly what info they need.

Edit:
Android is very paranoid, which is why I hate it. I can't even hack my own phone let alone someone elses. It would take some serious social engineering and redirection of web traffic to get them to download a malicious app. Alot of work unless you put them up like all those free apks that u usually have to pay for are probably some form of malware in em.
Last edited by Edge-Case; 8th January 2014 at 06:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edge-Case For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread