No registration required

Confused - working TWRP, no Fastboot, boot-looping CM 10.2

OP dewils80

7th January 2014, 04:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19

47 posts
OK,

I have bootloader 10.6.1.8, TWRP 2.4.4.0 and until this morning a working CM10.2 (latest stable). The device began to switch itself off randomly a few days ago, so I used that as a reason to try Omnirom 4.4.

So, I followed this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2575727
And when I read the line "ONLY WHEN YOU ARE ON THE 4.2+ BOOTLOADER", I looked up what 10.6.1.8 was and decided (rightly or wrongly) it WAS the 4.2+ bootloader. So I flashed TWRP 2.6.3.1 for kitkat.
That resulted in a split screen TWRP, which I managed to use enough to restore my backup (including recovery) and the tablet rebooted into my old working ROM (yay!)...until I rebooted into the recovery again and tried to flash last nights nightly 10.2 build (to see if that solved the power off issue) which failed - and now my ROM bootloops.

Where I am now:
- I can get into fastboot, my device manager (on two machines, a Win7 x86, and a Win8.1 x64) shows the Asus bootloader device, but fastboot shows no devices. ADB shows no devices as well.
- I can get into TWRP, but I cannot see all of the zip files I put on my external card. I put a new ROM there, and TWRP just doesn't see it. So I cannot flash a new ROM. I've tried re-flashing an old version of CM10.2 I found on my internal SD, but that also bootloops.
- The ROM loads up until the lockscreen, where it bootloops. Even when it tries safe-mode, it loops again. My computer see's the tablet when it's booting (if the cable is plugged in at the time) but it loops before I can put anything on the internal SD.

Before I do anything else....what do I do?

(Thank you for any help you can give, in advance).
7th January 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 386

1,110 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewils80

OK,

I have bootloader 10.6.1.8, TWRP 2.4.4.0 and until this morning a working CM10.2 (latest stable). The device began to switch itself off randomly a few days ago, so I used that as a reason to try Omnirom 4.4.

So, I followed this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2575727
And when I read the line "ONLY WHEN YOU ARE ON THE 4.2+ BOOTLOADER", I looked up what 10.6.1.8 was and decided (rightly or wrongly) it WAS the 4.2+ bootloader. So I flashed TWRP 2.6.3.1 for kitkat.
That resulted in a split screen TWRP, which I managed to use enough to restore my backup (including recovery) and the tablet rebooted into my old working ROM (yay!)...until I rebooted into the recovery again and tried to flash last nights nightly 10.2 build (to see if that solved the power off issue) which failed - and now my ROM bootloops.

Where I am now:
- I can get into fastboot, my device manager (on two machines, a Win7 x86, and a Win8.1 x64) shows the Asus bootloader device, but fastboot shows no devices. ADB shows no devices as well.
- I can get into TWRP, but I cannot see all of the zip files I put on my external card. I put a new ROM there, and TWRP just doesn't see it. So I cannot flash a new ROM. I've tried re-flashing an old version of CM10.2 I found on my internal SD, but that also bootloops.
- The ROM loads up until the lockscreen, where it bootloops. Even when it tries safe-mode, it loops again. My computer see's the tablet when it's booting (if the cable is plugged in at the time) but it loops before I can put anything on the internal SD.

Before I do anything else....what do I do?

(Thank you for any help you can give, in advance).

You need to upgrade you bootloader. 10.6.1.8 is not new enough, as said here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...79&postcount=7. Flash the latest stock blob from fastboot or from TWRP.

After that, you can install TWRP 2.6.3.1 and then OmniROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmendonc2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th January 2014, 09:45 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 19

47 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmendonc2

You need to upgrade you bootloader. 10.6.1.8 is not new enough, as said here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...79&postcount=7. Flash the latest stock blob from fastboot or from TWRP.

After that, you can install TWRP 2.6.3.1 and then OmniROM.

Hi - thanks for the reply!

I didn't think I could do that ---^ because I couldn't get fastboot to work on either of my windows machines. But I installed fastboot and adb on my Ubuntu machine, and that worked seamlessly.
So I now have the latest Asus firmware on and running, and a working TWRP 2.6.3.0.

That should let me flash the TWRP 2.6.3.1 zip from that thread linked above - and then flash Omnirom.

For anyone else in this predicament: I had to erase all of the device partitions with fastboot BEFORE flashing the Asus firmware. Without the erase, the Asus ROM just sat on the logo screen doing nothing.

Thanks again.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread