5,599,842 Members 46,986 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Your Xperia SD out of space - look here :)

Tip us?

b00b
Old
(Last edited by b00b; 31st December 2013 at 09:11 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Smile Your Xperia SD out of space - look here :)

Guys, after to my surprise, being prompted by my xperia-sp that i had only owned for about a month! that i couldn't install an app i wanted to install, because i had run out of space!, i decided to investigate where all my 5,800mb user available space had gone, and i was eventually able to claw back approx 2GB by deleting in my opinion useless files from my internal drive.

I thought it will be a good idea to share my findings for those who like me didnt know about the listed below.

Below are the main culprits

1. /mnt/sdcard/DCIM/.thumbnails = >182mb
(sony/android system running bloatware - a solution =
delete '/mnt/sdcard/DCIM/.thumbnails' folder, then create a file named '.thumbnails' (obviously without the quotes) and then move to'/mnt/sdcard/DCIM/' folder, this solution found here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2416688 ,so credits to the original poster.)

2. /sdcard/App_Manager/App_Backups = >745mb !!!
(created by ROM Toolbox app - see here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1350751 , credits to the original poster.)

3. /sdcard/MyAppSharer = >100mb
(created by MyAppSharer app)

4. /sdcard/bluetooth = >600mb
(created as you receive files via bluetooth)

5. /sdcard/demovideo = 90mb
(sony demo video bloatware, i personally just moved them to my external sd, as they are somewhat funny/interesting vids.)

6. /mnt/sdcard/video/xperia_hd_landscapes.mp4 = 41mb
(another sony demo video bloatware).

notes
=-=-=

* the above spaced used/saved are for my xperia-sp, your own 'real estates' may be different, depending if you use you the apps that create some of these folders & files or how long you've been using your xperia-sp for.

* also removing these extraneous files will also reduce the size of your nandroid backups, which can only be a good thing.

Hope this helps someone
Xperia SP ~ rooted! (C5303 on stock rom - 12.0.A.1.211 & Android 4.12)

Always on the quest for excellence!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to b00b For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dantemudjin55
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00b View Post
Guys, after to my surprise, being prompted by my xperia-sp that i had only owned for about a month! that i couldn't install an app i wanted to install, because i had run out of space!, i decided to investigate where all my 5,800mb user available space had gone, and i was eventually able to claw back approx 2GB by deleting in my opinion useless files from my internal drive.

I thought it will be a good idea to share my findings for those who like me didnt know about the listed below.

Below are the main culprits

1. /mnt/sdcard/DCIM/.thumbnails = >182mb
(sony/android system running bloatware - a solution =
delete '/mnt/sdcard/DCIM/.thumbnails' folder, then create a file named '.thumbnails' (obviously without the quotes) and then move to'/mnt/sdcard/DCIM/' folder, this solution found here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2416688 ,so credits to the original poster.)

2. /sdcard/App_Manager/App_Backups = >745mb !!!
(created by ROM Toolbox app - see here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1350751 , credits to the original poster.)

3. /sdcard/MyAppSharer = >100mb
(created by MyAppSharer app)

4. /sdcard/bluetooth = >600mb
(created as you receive files via bluetooth)

5. /sdcard/demovideo = 90mb
(sony demo video bloatware, i personally just moved them to my external sd, as they are somewhat funny/interesting vids.)

6. /mnt/sdcard/video/xperia_hd_landscapes.mp4 = 41mb
(another sony demo video bloatware).

notes
=-=-=

* the above spaced used/saved are for my xperia-sp, your own 'real estates' may be different, depending if you use you the apps that create some of these folders & files or how long you've been using your xperia-sp for.

* also removing these extraneous files will also reduce the size of your nandroid backups, which can only be a good thing.

Hope this helps someone
Recently I found something that help me a save more space in my SP. For Tapatalk users, go to SD00/Tapatalk4/Sessions/remote-cache. Delete all files. For me save +- 900 mb of temporary files. I hope that help.

Sorry for the bad English, but the government of my country just decided this year, to investite in education. Maybe is the world cup.

Enviado de meu C5303 usando Tapatalk

b00b
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
thanks for adding to the conversation... will check it out

The Following User Says Thank You to b00b For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eferrari.
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Try to use an app called Link2SD that moves your apps to your external SD Card which really helps if you have Root.https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.buak.Link2SD If you are a gamer, which I don't think cause if you are you would complain about it, you should buy the app Folder Mount, because Link2SD does not move Obb files(huge 'only' game files).https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...evasque.fmount
Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app

Currently Using: Xperia SP 4.1.2
Stock ROM Rooted LB Xposed Framework
Secondary Device: Xperia Mini Pro 4.0.4
xNXT ROM+Framework 11.1 Rooted LB

alphaz1
Old
Thanks Meter 42
holy crap my .thumbnails folder is 1.44 GB
Phone: Xperia SP C503 LTE (White)
ROM: eXistenZ Ultra v1.3.7
Kernel: Stock 12.0.A.2.254 (Rooted)
Bootloader: Locked
Recovery: ClockWorkMod v6.0.3.2

aniket_
Old
Thanks Meter 161
I think once we delete the thumbnails folder, and then open the album app, it is going to rebuild the same thing over again !

Prm593
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket_ View Post
I think once we delete the thumbnails folder, and then open the album app, it is going to rebuild the same thing over again !
you are right will build again automatically :C mine builded again 984 MB !!!
XPERIA SP
C5302 || Locked Bootloader || eXistenZ Ultra Rom

b00b
Old
(Last edited by b00b; 8th January 2014 at 12:18 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
guys, after you delete the .thumbnails folder, you must -

create a file named .thumbnails

and place it where the .thumbnails folder used to be and this will stop the android system recreate the .thumbnails folder as there is a file named .thumbnails that you created.

It worked for me since my original post and my phone works as normal.

Remember create a file named .thumbnails not a folder named .thumbnails

p.s.

see the attached screenshot of my DCIM folder on my Xperia SP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-08-11-53-27.png
Views:	167
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	2502098  

aniket_
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00b View Post
guys, after you delete the .thumbnails folder, you must create a file named .thumbnails and place it where the .thumbnails used to be and it will not recreate the .thumbnails folder as there is a file named .thumbnails that you created. It worked for me since my original post and my phone works as normal.

Remember it a file named .thumbnails you should create not a folder named .thumbnails
Aah.. Did not read the op thoroughly.