Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,606 Members 48,606 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Advice for 4.3 upgrade

Tip us?

eugenikz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Advice for 4.3 upgrade

Hi,

I have a Verizon Galaxy Note II I605 running Android 4.1.1 that I had originally rooted via Odin and followed instructions on the galaxynote2root website last Jan/Feb in 2012

I would like to upgrade to a stock ROM of 4.3 and keep root and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction in regards to which ROM to use and the steps to do so. I really only use root for the wifi tether and would like to keep the phone as close to stock as possible. I've gone through a number of different forums and posts but can't seem to find some good instructions with a corresponding recommendation on an Official OTA 4.3 ROM to use. I've found a lot variations on 4.3 ROMs, but most of them have gutted a lot of things or discussing having to flash firmware which makes me nervous.

Also, is it true I may be forced to take the OTA in the near future and potentially soft brick my phone if I don't either revert back to stock or install a 4.3 ROM which disables the update app. I'm not sure if the ROM i'm currently running has this disabled or not.

Thanks in advance for any help,

eugenikz

Curtis Craig
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Beanstown or sophisticated rom will be the official stock 4.3, however your gonna have to flash the Official MJ9 firmware via Odin. You could take the OTA but the bootloader will be locked afterwards. There is root available with the OTA stock but you won't be able to load a custom recovery therefore no more custom roms.

GaryAlpusa1
Old
Thanks Meter 5
+1. I did this with my note2. Was the same as yours. I'm now on sophisticated 2.0 highly recommended. I also updated recovery to Phils, which seems to be the conventional wisdom for flashing 4.3.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app