Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,506 Members 39,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just go this phone today! Any recommendations you want to share?

Tip us?

shaolin95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 875
Default Just go this phone today! Any recommendations you want to share?

Hi!
Well, first the phone is not for myself but I will send it to my mom as her nokia died and I wanted a better phone with a bigger screen.
I almost went with a LG L9 4.5" but the bigger internal memory, faster CPU and better camera features on the Amaze made me change my mind.
So, I was thinking maybe I need to root it to remove anything that slows it down but in reality, mom is not a power user. I will just have her do MMS now so maybe is not worth spending time figuring out a new system (I come from Samsung, Asus Prime, Xperia) for a user that really is not going to notice any lag etc.

I got it with a 5 pin cable which seems NOT to be the right one and charges slow so one thing I am getting is an OEM 12 pin for it unless I am not right about this.
So anything you like to share, I am happy to read about.
Thanks!

Gayest quote ever from MST3K!
"You know Captain, every year of my life, I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful...if you just take the time to look at it.".

My Galaxy Note Games & Apps previews YOUTUBE channel

Odysseus1962
Old
Thanks Meter 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Hi!
Well, first the phone is not for myself but I will send it to my mom as her nokia died and I wanted a better phone with a bigger screen.
I almost went with a LG L9 4.5" but the bigger internal memory, faster CPU and better camera features on the Amaze made me change my mind.
So, I was thinking maybe I need to root it to remove anything that slows it down but in reality, mom is not a power user. I will just have her do MMS now so maybe is not worth spending time figuring out a new system (I come from Samsung, Asus Prime, Xperia) for a user that really is not going to notice any lag etc.

I got it with a 5 pin cable which seems NOT to be the right one and charges slow so one thing I am getting is an OEM 12 pin for it unless I am not right about this.
So anything you like to share, I am happy to read about.
Thanks!
Yes the 12 pin is better, but unless you've got the factory charger, go for a quality higher amperage one like the generic dual purpose type that can be used with a tablet. These beasts draw a lot of current, so much so that when plugged-in and used with a lesser charger, it will still be draining its battery.

Even though it's for your mom I'd still root it and install Titanium Backup. Then I'd remove the T-Mobile and HTC bloat, some of which never worked, or no longer works. Then after removing the cruft, I'd install every available update then integrate them into '/system/app' with TiBu. Finally, I'd unroot and relock it, to avoid the late night service calls she'd give you if she accidentally messed with something she shouldn't have. Then you'll be good to go.

I did this very same procedure when I hooked my mom and stepdad up with smartphones last year. They both were new to these devices. They previously owned moto RAZRs. They live outside of Memphis and I live in Miami. The one thing I feared in getting them Androids vs iPhones were the possible late night tech calls from them. So I did for them exactly what I told you and they've been happy owners ever since.

I hope this helps.

Ciao
Current device: LG G2 (D801)
ROM: Stock KK-4.4.2 - rooted and debloated by me.
An incredible handset. The first smartphone I've owned where I didn't immediately replace the stock ROM.

Previous device: HTC Amaze 4G
Final ROM: CM-10 - Compiled and customized by me
To whoever stole it: What goes around comes around!

Previous device: HTC HD2 (TMOUS - LEO1024)
Final ROM: NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1.3 v2.7 - Tytung
Had more lives than a cat
Lesson: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RIP
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus1962 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shaolin95
Old
(Last edited by shaolin95; 8th January 2014 at 02:25 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 875
That sounds like a good plan.
Any specific charger you recommend or anything listed for HTC tablets etc should do the trick from ebay?

Looks like THIS should work.

"You know Captain, every year of my life, I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful...if you just take the time to look at it.".

Odysseus1962
Old
(Last edited by Odysseus1962; 8th January 2014 at 05:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
That sounds like a good plan.
Any specific charger you recommend or anything listed for HTC tablets etc should do the trick from ebay?

Looks like THIS should work.
It should work. I bought my amaze off Craig's list after I broke my HD2. I got it relatively cheap ($100), but it had no charger or data cable. I thought no big deal, I'll just use the HD2's. Thats when I discovered how much this juice uses. The HD2 charger just wasn't up to the task. I kept getting warnings about the current draw being too much and the device was unable to charge.

I wanted to resolve that right away. So I went to Best Buy and overpaid for a generic one with the highest amperage output they had. It's rated at 2.4 amps, I think my old one was rated at 0.8. You don't have to worry about too much amperage because of the regulator in the phone. Plus by getting the one I did, I figured I'd be equipped for any type of device I might throw at it in the future. That in combination with the 12 pin cable has worked for me. Now I can do even the most intensive task while plugged in and it never gives me a warning anymore about my device being unable to charge. I hope this helps, good luck!
Current device: LG G2 (D801)
ROM: Stock KK-4.4.2 - rooted and debloated by me.
An incredible handset. The first smartphone I've owned where I didn't immediately replace the stock ROM.

Previous device: HTC Amaze 4G
Final ROM: CM-10 - Compiled and customized by me
To whoever stole it: What goes around comes around!

Previous device: HTC HD2 (TMOUS - LEO1024)
Final ROM: NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1.3 v2.7 - Tytung
Had more lives than a cat
Lesson: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RIP

shaolin95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 875
The charger I got is rated like the original 5v 1Amp but the cable is surely not doing the job. Still I will just get that charger and call it a day.
Thanks amigo!