Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more
Post Reply

[Q] [Help] Incompatible Bootloader

OP Bossk128

7th January 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Good morning,
I've 'inherited' an Incredible S where an attempt to try a custom ROM has gone wrong. The handset has ARHD 6 ROM installed in it which never gets past the white HTC bootscreen, probably because it hasn't had the BlackRose bootloader installed. Obviously there is no Nandroid to make life easy.

It's on HBoot 2.02, S-on, and the bootloader is unlocked with 4Ext installed.



Quick question: is there a ROM I can install on bootloader 2.2 via 4Ext that will enable the phone to be used, e.g. Virtuous Quattro?

Longer question: Can anybody point me in the direction of a good method to downgrade the bootloader, bearing in mind I can't boot to the ROM. I do seem to have fastboot access and don't mind command line work, I just can't see the best combination of bootloader/ROM that isn't on a dead link.

Alternatively an RUU suitable for the bootloader would be good, but for some reason the list on HTCDev.com doesn't seem to be filtering properly for me on Opera or Iron.

Thanks in advance,

RH
7th January 2014, 02:36 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 634
 
1,666 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossk128

Good morning,
I've 'inherited' an Incredible S where an attempt to try a custom ROM has gone wrong. The handset has ARHD 6 ROM installed in it which never gets past the white HTC bootscreen, probably because it hasn't had the BlackRose bootloader installed. Obviously there is no Nandroid to make life easy.

It's on HBoot 2.02, S-on, and the bootloader is unlocked with 4Ext installed.



Quick question: is there a ROM I can install on bootloader 2.2 via 4Ext that will enable the phone to be used, e.g. Virtuous Quattro?

Longer question: Can anybody point me in the direction of a good method to downgrade the bootloader, bearing in mind I can't boot to the ROM. I do seem to have fastboot access and don't mind command line work, I just can't see the best combination of bootloader/ROM that isn't on a dead link.

Alternatively an RUU suitable for the bootloader would be good, but for some reason the list on HTCDev.com doesn't seem to be filtering properly for me on Opera or Iron.

Thanks in advance,

RH

Download CM7.2
Go back to bootloader.
Go to Recovery.
Mount USB storage and transfer CM7.2 to SD card
Now Flash CM7.2
Flash boot.img of CM7.2
Enable USB Debugging after you've booted up (no need for GApps atm)
Continue with downgrade guide (Everything is in sticky roll up thread)
The Following User Says Thank You to 072665995 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th January 2014, 04:02 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 072665995

Download CM7.2
Go back to bootloader.
Go to Recovery.
Mount USB storage and transfer CM7.2 to SD card
Now Flash CM7.2
Flash boot.img of CM7.2
Enable USB Debugging after you've booted up (no need for GApps atm)
Continue with downgrade guide (Everything is in sticky roll up thread)

Nice one, thanks. I've downloaded the ROM from http://get.cm/get/2KU and will flash from 4Ext recovery.
The bootloader in in that same zip file, I'll flash as follows:
At ADB prompt:

fastboot flash boot boot.img


Reboot, ROM should load up fine. I spotted the downgrade guide yeterday and it looks very good. I'll give it a shot if CM isn't suitable.

Again, thanks very much.

Time for 2 small questions? How long does it take to flash the boot.img, 10 seconds? 5 minutes? Why does the boot image have to be flashed manually?

Cheers!
7th January 2014, 04:57 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 634
 
1,666 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossk128

Nice one, thanks. I've downloaded the ROM from http://get.cm/get/2KU and will flash from 4Ext recovery.
The bootloader in in that same zip file, I'll flash as follows:
At ADB prompt:

fastboot flash boot boot.img


Reboot, ROM should load up fine. I spotted the downgrade guide yeterday and it looks very good. I'll give it a shot if CM isn't suitable.

Again, thanks very much.

Time for 2 small questions? How long does it take to flash the boot.img, 10 seconds? 5 minutes? Why does the boot image have to be flashed manually?

Cheers!

boot.img flashing should take >1s O_o or around that at least...

And the boot.img has to be flashed manually only if you are S-ON. S-ON doesn't give you full clearance to some particular partition that I forget. S-OFF will so when you achieve S-OFF, you will no longer need to flash the boot.img manually
7th January 2014, 07:10 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by 072665995

boot.img flashing should take >1s O_o or around that at least...

And the boot.img has to be flashed manually only if you are S-ON. S-ON doesn't give you full clearance to some particular partition that I forget. S-OFF will so when you achieve S-OFF, you will no longer need to flash the boot.img manually

OK, same as my HOX then. Anyway, I've followed your instructions.

Hm, ROM installed and now trying to flash boot.img (from the rom zip).

Fastboot devices shows one device.

Command line states "sending boot (2182 kb)..." but hasn't changed for over 3 minutes. Handset says Fastboot USB and is unresponsive (as expected) at this moment.

I'll leave it until it errors.

RH

Edit: 30minutes later i pulled the usb cable.

"FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))"

Handset is in the same state, i.e.fastboot/hboot and recovery are fine, but ROM doesn't boot and handset stalls at white screen with green HTC letters.

Any ideas why I can't flash the boot.img?
Last edited by Bossk128; 7th January 2014 at 07:47 PM.
8th January 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Success! After reinstalling the the drivers and moving the USB cable to another port, the boot.img was successfully pushed, and booted into CM.

I'll now go for downgrading!

thanks for the help.

RH
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Incredible S General by ThreadRank