Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,915 Members 42,583 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [Help] Incompatible Bootloader

Tip us?

Bossk128
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] [Help] Incompatible Bootloader

Good morning,
I've 'inherited' an Incredible S where an attempt to try a custom ROM has gone wrong. The handset has ARHD 6 ROM installed in it which never gets past the white HTC bootscreen, probably because it hasn't had the BlackRose bootloader installed. Obviously there is no Nandroid to make life easy.

It's on HBoot 2.02, S-on, and the bootloader is unlocked with 4Ext installed.

Quick question: is there a ROM I can install on bootloader 2.2 via 4Ext that will enable the phone to be used, e.g. Virtuous Quattro?

Longer question: Can anybody point me in the direction of a good method to downgrade the bootloader, bearing in mind I can't boot to the ROM. I do seem to have fastboot access and don't mind command line work, I just can't see the best combination of bootloader/ROM that isn't on a dead link.

Alternatively an RUU suitable for the bootloader would be good, but for some reason the list on HTCDev.com doesn't seem to be filtering properly for me on Opera or Iron.

Thanks in advance,

RH

Old
Thanks Meter 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossk128 View Post
Good morning,
I've 'inherited' an Incredible S where an attempt to try a custom ROM has gone wrong. The handset has ARHD 6 ROM installed in it which never gets past the white HTC bootscreen, probably because it hasn't had the BlackRose bootloader installed. Obviously there is no Nandroid to make life easy.

It's on HBoot 2.02, S-on, and the bootloader is unlocked with 4Ext installed.

Quick question: is there a ROM I can install on bootloader 2.2 via 4Ext that will enable the phone to be used, e.g. Virtuous Quattro?

Longer question: Can anybody point me in the direction of a good method to downgrade the bootloader, bearing in mind I can't boot to the ROM. I do seem to have fastboot access and don't mind command line work, I just can't see the best combination of bootloader/ROM that isn't on a dead link.

Alternatively an RUU suitable for the bootloader would be good, but for some reason the list on HTCDev.com doesn't seem to be filtering properly for me on Opera or Iron.

Thanks in advance,

RH
Download CM7.2
Go back to bootloader.
Go to Recovery.
Mount USB storage and transfer CM7.2 to SD card
Now Flash CM7.2
Flash boot.img of CM7.2
Enable USB Debugging after you've booted up (no need for GApps atm)
Continue with downgrade guide (Everything is in sticky roll up thread)
Google Nexus 5
Cataclysm with Franco Kernel

HTC Incredible S (retired)

ROM: Blackout/CyanVivoX 4.1/VivoKat 4.4

Guide on How to Achieve S-OFF
The Following User Says Thank You to 072665995 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bossk128
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 072665995 View Post
Download CM7.2
Go back to bootloader.
Go to Recovery.
Mount USB storage and transfer CM7.2 to SD card
Now Flash CM7.2
Flash boot.img of CM7.2
Enable USB Debugging after you've booted up (no need for GApps atm)
Continue with downgrade guide (Everything is in sticky roll up thread)
Nice one, thanks. I've downloaded the ROM from http://get.cm/get/2KU and will flash from 4Ext recovery.
The bootloader in in that same zip file, I'll flash as follows:
At ADB prompt:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Reboot, ROM should load up fine. I spotted the downgrade guide yeterday and it looks very good. I'll give it a shot if CM isn't suitable.

Again, thanks very much.

Time for 2 small questions? How long does it take to flash the boot.img, 10 seconds? 5 minutes? Why does the boot image have to be flashed manually?

Cheers!

Old
Thanks Meter 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossk128 View Post
Nice one, thanks. I've downloaded the ROM from http://get.cm/get/2KU and will flash from 4Ext recovery.
The bootloader in in that same zip file, I'll flash as follows:
At ADB prompt:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Reboot, ROM should load up fine. I spotted the downgrade guide yeterday and it looks very good. I'll give it a shot if CM isn't suitable.

Again, thanks very much.

Time for 2 small questions? How long does it take to flash the boot.img, 10 seconds? 5 minutes? Why does the boot image have to be flashed manually?

Cheers!
boot.img flashing should take >1s O_o or around that at least...

And the boot.img has to be flashed manually only if you are S-ON. S-ON doesn't give you full clearance to some particular partition that I forget. S-OFF will so when you achieve S-OFF, you will no longer need to flash the boot.img manually
Google Nexus 5
Cataclysm with Franco Kernel

HTC Incredible S (retired)

ROM: Blackout/CyanVivoX 4.1/VivoKat 4.4

Guide on How to Achieve S-OFF

Bossk128
Old
(Last edited by Bossk128; 7th January 2014 at 07:47 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 072665995 View Post
boot.img flashing should take >1s O_o or around that at least...

And the boot.img has to be flashed manually only if you are S-ON. S-ON doesn't give you full clearance to some particular partition that I forget. S-OFF will so when you achieve S-OFF, you will no longer need to flash the boot.img manually
OK, same as my HOX then. Anyway, I've followed your instructions.

Hm, ROM installed and now trying to flash boot.img (from the rom zip).

Fastboot devices shows one device.

Command line states "sending boot (2182 kb)..." but hasn't changed for over 3 minutes. Handset says Fastboot USB and is unresponsive (as expected) at this moment.

I'll leave it until it errors.

RH

Edit: 30minutes later i pulled the usb cable.

"FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))"

Handset is in the same state, i.e.fastboot/hboot and recovery are fine, but ROM doesn't boot and handset stalls at white screen with green HTC letters.

Any ideas why I can't flash the boot.img?

Bossk128
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Success! After reinstalling the the drivers and moving the USB cable to another port, the boot.img was successfully pushed, and booted into CM.

I'll now go for downgrading!

thanks for the help.

RH