[APP] AMeBa: Adapting Menu Bar for WM6.5.x [v0.8 release candidate - 31/Mar/2010]

Search This thread

xtep

Jul 1, 2008
As all you know, in the latest builds of WM 6.5.x the position of start (Win) and close (X) buttons have changed from the task bar (on top of the screen) to the menu bar (bottom of the screen). Therefore, all the applications that modifiy the behaviour of this buttons do not work anymore.

I'm writing this little app to customize the default behaviour of this buttons.

Current features (v0.8) (new features on red):
- Run as service.
- Tap on close button: customizable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\CloseTapAction.
- Tap&Hold on close button: customizable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\CloseHoldAction.
- Tap on start button: customizable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\StartTapAction.
- Tap&Hold on start button: customizable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\StartHoldAction.
- Posible values for close actions (CloseTapAction and CloseHoldAction):
* 0 = None: no action is done
* 1 = Default: default wm action (minimize app)
* 2 = Run App: launch a program (configurable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\CloseTapRun or HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\CloseHoldRun) with arguments (configurable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\CloseTapRunArguments or HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\CloseHoldRunArguments)
* 3 = Close: close the current app
* 4 = ScreenTap: simulate a tap on screen (position is configurable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\CloseClickX and HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\CloseClickX[/I])
- Posible values for start actions (StartTapAction and StartHoldAction):
* 0 = None: no action is done
* 1 = Default: default wm action (launch default honeycomb menu)
* 2 = Run App: launch a program (configurable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\StartTapRun or HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\StartHoldRun) with arguments (configurable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\StartTapRunArguments or HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\StartHoldRunArguments)
* 3 = QuickMenu: show QuickMenu menu (faster than runing QuickMenu.exe)
* 4 = ScreenTap: simulate a tap on screen (position is configurable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\StartClickX and HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\StartClickX[/I])
- Use HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\ShowHoldAnimation to show (value 1) or not (value) tap and hold animation.
- Haptic feedback (not tested): customizable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\Vibration. Posible values:
* 0 = None: no vibration at all
* 1 = During: vibration activated while taping (until releasing)
* 2 = End: vibration at the end of Tap or Tap&Hold (duration configurable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\TapVibrationTime or HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\HoldVibrationTime, set to 0 to disable one of them)
- Position Fix: Auto detects windows that overlap menu bar and move/resize them. Three working modes(configurable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\PositionFix):
* 0 = Disabled: no position fix.
* 1 = Use black list: do no apply position fix in the the apps included in the list on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\PositionFixList.
* 2 = Use white list: apply position fix only in the the apps included in the list on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\PositionFixList.
* HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\PositionFixList is a semi-colon separated list of filenames with full path.

- Launcher for those devices that the service does not start automatically
- Force Close: If a window does not close friendly, with this option active AMeBa will try to close it forced. (Disabled by default, can be activated setting HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\ForceClose to 1)
- Close exclusion list with the list of apps that must be minimized instead of closed (configurable HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\CloseExclusionList). It is a semi-colon separated list of filenames with full path (for example: \Windows\replog.exe for ActiveSync).
- Configurable CPU usage: you can specify the number the milliseconds between searching for new windows (configurable on HKCU\Software\xTep\AMeBa\PollingInterval). If you increase this number AMeBa use less CPU but it takes more time to detect new windows.

B]AMeBa Settings[/B]: scarecrow420 has developed an UI to change the AMeBa setting. Latest version attached to this post.

Note: you must restart Ameba Service (for example with soft reset or with FdSoft TaskManager) after changing any registry value (AMeBa Settings restar the service for you).

Future features:
- User interface to configure the app.

Attachments

• AMeBaLauncher.cab
    9.2 KB · Views: 10,500
  • AMeBa_v0.8rc.cab
    11.1 KB · Views: 9,507
  • scarecrow420_AMeBaSettings_v0.3.CAB
    230.9 KB · Views: 8,419
Last edited:

xtep

Jul 1, 2008
Version History

0.8 release candidate - 31/03/2010
- Exclusion list for closing applications.
- White/black list for position fix
- Reduced CPU usage.
- Configurable CPU usage.
- New screen tap for start and close actions.
- Bugs solved:
* Volumen control does not close.
* Position fix does not work well for Garmin XT.
* Other minor fixes.

0.7.1beta - 26/01/2010 (3036 downloads - 0 donations)
- Bugs solved:
* Manila weather animation does not work (reported first by j-a-c-khere)

0.7beta - 22/01/2010 (288 downloads - 0 donations)
- Added Force Close feature
- AmebaLauncher stops AMeBa service if is running when AmebaLauncher is called.
- Bugs solved:
* Device freeze on some ROMs.
* Position Fix does not work with Manila/Sense.
* QuickMenu option on Star button show the notification bar instead QuickMenu menu.

0.6beta - 29/12/2009 (854 downloads - 0 donations)
- Added position fix feature.
- Added AmebaLauncher (install only if AMeBa service does not start automatically).
- Improved stability and compatibility with other software that hooks the menu bar.
- Bugs solved:
* Device freeze after soft reset on some ROMs due a software compatibility (reported by peacock93 here)
* Device freeze when switching off and on Titatium (reported first by Xannytech [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=5183903#post5183903"]here[/URL])

0.5.1beta - 13/12/2009 (534 downloads)
- Bugs solved:
* Re-introduced on 0.5: Right softkey on titanium allways launchs Contacts (reported first by nagusia here)

0.5beta - 4/12/2009
- Bugs solved:
* Menu bars crash when many windows are opened (reported first by SiemensLover here)
* Use StartTapRun and CloseTapRun for Hold actions (first reported by zer0es here, reported again on version 0.4 by Captain_Throwback here). I hope this time works.
* Stoping AMeBa service leaves the menubars unusable (not reported)
* Minor internal bugs/adjustments.

0.4beta - 2/12/2009
- Install and run as service
- Bugs solved:
* ActiveSync does not syncronize while AMeBa is running (reported first by SOHKis here)
* Use StartTapRun and CloseTapRun for Hold actions (reported by zer0es here)

0.3.1beta - 27/11/2009
- Corrected a bug with vibration on close button (reported by madsurfer1 here)

0.3beta - 27/11/2009
- Internal algorithm changes to solve problems reported on version 0.2b:
* App does not close with X button the first time (reported by SiemensLover here)
* Broken notifications/"zoombar" (reported by mr.jaguar here)
* Both soft keys on Today launch "contacts" (reported by TheRem, alienao and shur1k here)
- Added haptic feedback (not tested because my x7510 does not have vibrator)
- Added the registry arguments to the Run app actions for both Start and Close buttons.
- Added QuickMenu action for Start button.

0.2beta - 13/11/2009
- Added configurable behaviour on Tap and Tap&Hold for both Start and Close buttons.
- Added Run app action for close button.
- Changed detection of Tap&Hold on buttons.

0.1beta - 11/11/2009 - Initial version

Attachments

• AMeBa_v0.3b.cab
    13 KB · Views: 109
  • AMeBa_v0.3.1b.cab
    13 KB · Views: 63
  • AMeBa_v0.4b.cab
    7 KB · Views: 67
  • AMeBa_v0.5b.cab
    7.7 KB · Views: 96
  • AMeBa_v0.5.1b.cab
    8.1 KB · Views: 88
  • AMeBa_v0.6b.cab
    8.5 KB · Views: 77
  • AMeBa_v0.7b.cab
    9.7 KB · Views: 192
  • AMeBa_v0.7.1b.cab
    9.7 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

youmeus

Jul 6, 2005
works for me!

Thanks for this. Just tried it and working very good...will report if I find any bugs

SiemensLover

Mar 15, 2008
not @ Home
First thanx for ur work

Tried with my ROM Build 23506 on diamond 1

Very nice

Issue:
- "x" button close the current App but not always!! some time do it some times not! tried to figure how but no chance.

WISHES:

- can u just only map the "X" Button to close the current APP like Taskmanger did with WM6.1 or can u add this functions to be used by Task Manager? or edit task Manager to do so?!

- PLEASE leave the Start Icon on Today Home in piece! i.e Standard

GOOD LUCK

WBR
Siemens Lover

Last edited:

teacher1960

Mar 8, 2009
Bergen
Great xtep!

Any chance of seeing this in a new x7510 rom? I'll be happy to flash for you, as many times you like.

SOHKis

Apr 29, 2008
VA
very nice, an alternative to eNatives.

gonna give this a try later this evening, thanks!

*running on 23506 - seems to have similar issues. can't open start menu from today screen, have to open via calendar, can't access HTC task manager from today screen anymore. hopefully the next version will address some of the current bugs.

Thanks xtep!

Last edited:

acidhax

Apr 1, 2009
Ontario
Yikes, I had to remove it.. way too many issues.

Email wouldn't open. It would load the account list, but when i selected the account, it would suddenly go transparent, yet changing the titlebar/bottom bar as if it loaded the email account.

'Long Press' for the start menu was like 4 seconds.
'Short Press' didn't work :p

And It broke the home-screen's drop down titlebar, it just wouldn't display it...

AAaand it didn't close anything :p

(23081)

Last edited:

alienao

Dec 18, 2008
Madrid
nice

just tested and the X and it works like a charm. some comments:
1. imho the tap and tap/hold should be the other way around (tap for honeycomb and tap/hold for desired app)
2. the tap/hold scts whenever you release the button. i think it would be better to "act" after a configurable time after you press it.
3. a good additional feature could be to include a list of current apps, like a task manager...

anyway, great app, the X closing is something i really needed!! keep up the good work

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
just tested and the X and it works like a charm. some comments:
1. imho the tap and tap/hold should be the other way around (tap for honeycomb and tap/hold for desired app)
2. the tap/hold scts whenever you release the button. i think it would be better to "act" after a configurable time after you press it.

I have the same thoughts, it's good, but possibly having configuration for whether tap+hold or tap executes whatever action.

3. a good additional feature could be to include a list of current apps, like a task manager...

anyway, great app, the X closing is something i really needed!! keep up the good work
I personally feel that the WM task manager is great, though if a tap+hold on the home screen "close" button position would pop up the task manager, that would be great! :)

TheRem

Feb 20, 2007
Las Piñas
darem.co.nr
it replaced all my Titanium right softkey with Contacts (default)...
and when you lock the screen and unlock it then lock it again, the unlock slide button remains at the corner not at the center.

...it also conflicts with Showcase, so better disable Showcase first before you try Ameba.

anyway thanks xtep! :)

xtep

Jul 1, 2008
- can u just only map the "X" Button to close the current APP like Taskmanger did with WM6.1 or can u add this functions to be used by Task Manager? or edit task Manager to do so?!

That will be configurable in the next version.
Email wouldn't open. It would load the account list, but when i selected the account, it would suddenly go transparent, yet changing the titlebar/bottom bar as if it loaded the email account.

[...]

And It broke the home-screen's drop down titlebar, it just wouldn't display it...

AAaand it didn't close anything :p

It seems that AMeBa crashed and then the current menu bar become unusable. Have you tested it that takes place always or only once.

'Long Press' for the start menu was like 4 seconds.

Actually 2 seconds.

That will be configurable in next version.

Working on that just now. It work as you said on next version.

This could be a option in a future release. In next version, you can also choice to run a program with the close button (WkTask or other task manager for example).

xtep

Jul 1, 2008
Version 0.2 beta released

Version 0.2 beta released. Look first post for details.

SiemensLover

Mar 15, 2008
not @ Home
I tried V.0.2b
My konfiguration is:
- X tab = close App= 3
- X hold= Do nothing = 0
- Animation is on = 1

Issues:
- Close App does not work from the first tab or Hold
Example:
- opening contacts, X do not close (it minimize), if i open Contacts directly again, X will close App. and now if i open Contacts again, X will not close App (it minimize), if i open contacts again, X will close App!!! and so on..

and the same thing with calendar , text messages...and so on!!

Hope u can fix it

Good luck and thanx for ur great work

WBR
Siemens Lover

wuub

Mar 2, 2007
Monaco
the unlock sliding button changed position !
When switching the screen on the unlock button is gone to the right far end.
I only have to touch it to unlock the screen... it slide without problems back to its position
but this is really weird ;)

using BSB 6.5.1F ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had issue with start menu freezing for few sec or even mins when opened on boot up.

Came to know it was AMeBa service fault.

Fixed it by removing "Order"=dword:0000000F in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\AMeBa key.

Now start menu doesn't freezing when opened. :)

Thanks...
    Best Regards