XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ART or DALVIK?

Tip us?

ulev
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Question [Q] ART or DALVIK?

Guys, I would like to hear what people think about switching from DALVIK to ART runtime on the Galaxy TAB and when to do it.

I had ART running smoothly and without issues for some time on several experimental CM11 ROMs from 4.4 to 4.4.2. I switched back to DALVIK two days ago because I was uncomfortable without the extra privacy control I receive from PDROID which currently only works with DALVIK.

Asparagus13
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulev View Post
Guys, I would like to hear what people think about switching from DALVIK to ART runtime on the Galaxy TAB and when to do it.

I had ART running smoothly and without issues for some time on several experimental CM11 ROMs from 4.4 to 4.4.2. I switched back to DALVIK two days ago because I was uncomfortable without the extra privacy control I receive from PDROID which currently only works with DALVIK.
People say it is faster and smoother, and save battery... I did it, noticed file size became larger. If size is not a concern to you, you might want to wait for PDROID update then change it back.

metterschling
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I also stay on Dalvik due to a privacy solution (here: Xprivacy) that is not supported with ART. The potential performance improvement IMHO is not worth losing the ability to restrict applications.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xz124
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I've tried ART, and while I find that performance is up, the limited space on the CDMA tabs makes me less likely to stick with it. It does work fine, however, and it performs noticeably better than dalvik.
Tags
art, dalvik, pdroid