5,599,190 Members 35,392 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I safely resize the system partition?

Tip us?

Chris Kurisu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default [Q] Can I safely resize the system partition?

I have done wonderful things to my device thanks in large part to this community. Thank you.

I see that the system partition has about 1 GB of free space yet there are only 427 MB of files in there. Do I need that much free space? If not, how can I safely resize it?

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 11064

DONATE TO ME
Using parted. I've tried doing it though, shrinking my data partition to give more to system but it won't stick for some reason. Either I'm doing it wrong, or it doesn't work

The parted binary for android can be found on Cyanogenmod's github in the android_bootable_recovery repo
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following User Says Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chris Kurisu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
@CNexus, thanks. I appreciate that. I'll take a peek at that. Strangely enough I'm looking to shrink my system partition. I've seen others are wanting the opposite.

I've partitioned PC drives before but this appears to be much more involved.

Does anyone know of an optimum allotment for system and cache that I should follow?

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 11064

DONATE TO ME
You should be fine whatever you do.

Worst case if something goes wrong, just flash the PIT file for your internal storage size in Odin and all should be good

But yes, this will be more involved since it will need to be all command-line
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following User Says Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]