XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

News: According to PlayOn site, Chromecast support coming soon

Tip us?

jsdecker10
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Info 2 News: According to PlayOn site, Chromecast support coming soon

I was just doin a little reading up on the Chromecast, Plex, and other random news and info and came across this tidbit of info. For those of you that are familiar with "PlayOn," I was browsing their website and just happened to notice that they have officially listed on their site that Chromecast support will be coming to PlayOn very soon. Also, when looking through their support forums, I came across a thread that was started just a couple of days ago and "Chris" from the PlayOn staff confirmed to the opening poster that Chromecast support was in fact just right around the corner. I thought this sounded like great news for us, the Chromecast community.

Check their site out for yourself ---> PlayOn | Supported Devices Compatible with PlayOn | PlayOn

--Thread on PlayOn Forum
The Following User Says Thank You to jsdecker10 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

johnjingle
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The site is down right now.

Kyonz
Old
Thanks Meter 201

DONATE TO ME
I wonder to what level of compatibility PlayOn will see on the Chromecast - my concern would be any additional latency that it brings in (but could be really good if they can get past that!)

abuttino
Old
Thanks Meter 162
The day PlayOn gets released for ChomeCast, I'll be warning people of doing business with this company.

MediaMall has had some very sinister marketing techniques in the past and this should be known.

Houndx
Old
(Last edited by Houndx; 8th January 2014 at 09:18 PM.) Reason: more details
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuttino View Post
The day PlayOn gets released for ChomeCast, I'll be warning people of doing business with this company.

MediaMall has had some very sinister marketing techniques in the past and this should be known.
I'll second that. I purchased a PlayOn lifetime license when it was a fairly new product and somehow that's parlayed in to them trying to get me to buy another "lifetime" license ever since when new features are added.

Here's a discussion where several others spell out the details.

edit:lol, they're still at it too.. they finally added HD and have a special offer for existing lifetime users to upgrade.

tl;dr - PlayOn sells you a "lifetime" license, renames the product when they add features then tries to sell you another "lifetime" license

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 563

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
I'll second that. I purchased a PlayOn lifetime license when it was a fairly new product and somehow that's parlayed in to them trying to get me to buy another "lifetime" license ever since when new features are added.

Here's a discussion where several others spell out the details.

tl;dr - PlayOn sells you a "lifetime" license, renames the product when they add features then tries to sell you another "lifetime" license
Couldn't find the exact licensing terms, but sometimes a "lifetime" license does not include lifetime upgrades or updates - simply unlimited use of that particular version.
As long as the product you bought the license for remains available for use (ie, they don't disable it) then it's legal... Not nice, but still legal...
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Houndx
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Couldn't find the exact licensing terms, but sometimes a "lifetime" license does not include lifetime upgrades or updates - simply unlimited use of that particular version.
As long as the product you bought the license for remains available for use (ie, they don't disable it) then it's legal... Not nice, but still legal...
Oh, I'm not implying they didn't live up to their legal obligations.. only that they failed on the moral ones.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 563

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
Oh, I'm not implying they didn't live up to their legal obligations.. only that they failed on the moral ones.
True. Releasing a new product is one thing, but doing a small change and renaming, that's not nice and it doesn't encourage others to buy your product - lifetime or otherwise - either.

I guess it could be worse - they could make it only apply to the lifetime of a specific device. Then few people would ever get lifetime.

At least TiVo let me transfer my lifetime subscription for the Series 3 (granted, the S3 at launch was near $800) - and they raised the lifetime rates but warned existing customers first... And when there's a new system update it doesn't invalidate my lifetime subscription.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

abuttino
Old
Thanks Meter 162
A company like TiVo wouldn't get a way with that.

Actually, I didn't know about the HD thing, but I called it years ago. Even used the word HD.

People on their forums tell me I should drop it and stfu but I don't see a problem warning people about their devious marketing.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

abuttino
Old
Thanks Meter 162
By the way you will ABSOLUTELY NEVER find a EULA on their site. I don't remember if you have to agree to one to install the software either

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Tags
app, chromecast, playon