5,600,483 Members 32,743 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Possible that I am being checked/hacked ChatOn/WhatsApp remotely ?

Tip us?

MattRob
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Possible that I am being checked/hacked ChatOn/WhatsApp remotely ?

My girlfriend and I are using ChatOn for chatting, sometimes WhatsApp. She uses the Galaxy S2. She thinks that her ex-boyfriend is checking/stalking her, while I have said that it would be nearly impossible that he could actually see the messages we exchange. He probably can access her router at home (he installed it). We were using ChatOn (instead of WhatsApp) thinking that he would not know that, or would be familiair with that (it is not that popular over here).

This night, 2am, I received 2 smileys in the ChatOn chat, from my girlfriend (portraying a spitting smiley, which we never use, and we were talking angry and frustrated about the ex-boyfriend). My girlfriend says she cannot have send those 2 smileys. She would need to have logged into her Phone (long password) and she was definitely asleep at that time.

My questions to the biggest experts here:

- Can somebody really get into Chaton, and send messages on your behalf, remotely ? The ChatOn accounts are not linked to anything we do not have Samsung accounts and we have not given access to any other account within ChatOn (I know it would be possible to use webChatOn, but you should give permission for that I think from within the ChatOn Mobile App)
- The same for WhatsApp ?
- Everything send through WiFi is encrypted in the App itself, so text would not be visible from the router ? You can only see encrypted data ? And it would be impossible to send something from the account through the router ?
- Would there be any explanation for the smileys ?

We are getting quite nervous ....
Samsung Galaxy S III i9300
ROM: Omega V36 - XXELLA - Phenomenal 4.0 Extreme

Samsung Galaxy S II i9100
ROM: Resurrection Remix ics v2.4.1 AOKP-B39 4.0.4
Kernel: Siyah 3.3.1

HTC HD2
Rom: Duttys HD2 V18 WWE

Shreyseviltwin
Old
(Last edited by Shreyseviltwin; 28th December 2013 at 03:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default Unfortunately yes..

It is possible that her bf may have access to her whatsapp by mac spoofing.He may know the mac address of her phone.
MAC spoofing is a technique for changing a factory-
assigned Media Access Control (MAC) address of a
network interface on a networked device. The MAC
address is hard-coded on a network interface
controller (NIC) and cannot be changed. However,
there are tools which can make an operating system
believe that the NIC has the MAC address of a user's
choosing. The process of masking a MAC address is
known as MAC spoofing. Essentially, MAC spoofing
entails changing a computer's identity, for any
reason, and it is relatively easy.
The changing of the assigned MAC address may allow
the bypassing of access control lists on servers or
routers , either hiding a computer on a network or
allowing it to impersonate another network device.
MAC spoofing is done for legitimate and illicit purposes
alike.
He might have spoofed his phones mac address and assign hers.This way whatever replies she gets will be received by him......but still the question is that if he knows the mac address
The Following User Says Thank You to Shreyseviltwin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

destevez
Old
Thanks Meter 17
You should change the router config asap. Also.. Does your gf use a ROM installed by the ex? My advice its flash a new fresh ROM and change every app password ,including emails

Using Tapatalk GT-I9505

shikhar623
Old
(Last edited by shikhar623; 8th January 2014 at 01:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb Quite Possible

Especially for the older versions of chat-on app (2012-12-04 and before), do not use Public WiFi networks. The communication between client and server is not encrypted (whereas Whatsapp encrypts before sending). the Session can easily be intercepted or even spoofed. Though it requires a little Technical skills for Spoofing. But its not impossible. You have to judge it from the Ability of her Ex.
If the Chat On app is the updated one then no need to worry as it uses the AES encryption, but still the files being uploaded/downloaded are not encrypted, and hence can be intercepted.

sandm4n
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Change wifi pass... Make it complicated alphanumeric with numbers
Use wpa2psk on wifi

To do an arp spoof he would need to be on the same network. Thus do the above ASAP
mmaptoNULL [BLOG]
Nexus 7 2013 [flo] ==> Stock =+= Franco.kernel r12
S2 [I9100] ==> Official CM 10.2 Nightly =+= Dorimanx-V9.43
iPhone 4S ==> iOS 7 [Jailbroken]
Retired ==> OneX [endeavoru], S+ [i9001], Galaxy-Y [GT-S5360]