5,596,431 Members 39,847 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Would you be more willing to keep your bootloader unlocked or accept the official OTA
Keep bootloader unlocked 14 100.00%
Accept official OTA 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] To take the official OTA or not?

Tip us?

subzero2000
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Determining whether your bootloader is locked or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Jax View Post
How do you confirm an unlocked bootloader?
You have to get the phone into Odin mode, as if though you were going to flash something via Odin.

First, take the back off, as you will most likely have to pull the battery to reset the phone at the end of this.

With the phone powered off, hold Volume Down, the Home button (or whatever it's called) at the bottom, and Power at the same time, until the phone turns on, and you see a Warning screen. On that warning screen, press Volume Up to Continue.

The phone will now be in Odin mode, and you'll see an Android with the text Downloading..., Do not turn off target!!

Look at the small text in the upper left corner of the screen.

If you see mention of Knox Warranty, your bootloader is locked, and currently cannot be unlocked.

You may safely pull your battery despite the warning at this point to exit Odin mode (I don't know of any other way to exit Odin mode, unless I'm simply not holding down power long enough to do it). Pulling the battery at this point would only be an issue if you were actually using Odin to flash something and you pulled the battery in the middle of the flash.

Note: Some people may be tempted to try and use adb to achieve this instead of powering down the phone, but this will not work; "adb reboot download" will put the phone in download mode, but you will not see the text in the upper left if you try this method. The only other sane option that I can think of to try would be "adb reboot odin", and this does not have any effect other than rebooting the phone normally.

coffeedave
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nooo

not the official OTA, there are a number of "stable" ROM options out there that are certainly worth giving a chance before returning to OTA

MunkinDrunky
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Good luck finding the solution that suits you best. We all strive for the best daily diver (plus more). But before going to lock down stability can be had with patience. Relfash the roms clean or Odin back to stock-all before considering the plunge to locked bootloader if you are hesitant.
Current XDA level: Make searches all by myself; not great at original knowledge.

SCH-I605
Current Rom: N3BULA 2
Kernel: AGNi pureSTOCK

dmunz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero2000 View Post
You have to get the phone into Odin mode, as if though you were going to flash something via Odin.

<snip>

You may safely pull your battery despite the warning at this point to exit Odin mode (I don't know of any other way to exit Odin mode, unless I'm simply not holding down power long enough to do it).

<snip>
I tried holding the power button and it shut down after about ten seconds. Didn't need to pull the batery. YMMV.

FWIW
DLM