5,597,937 Members 38,694 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] custom recovery or safestrap?

Tip us?

scristopher
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] custom recovery or safestrap?

Hello all and please forgive me if this has been asked before however being new to this phone I am uncertain of what exactly I am looking for here and am possibly halfway to the solution already. What I am wanting to do is install a custom recovery on my GS4 so that I can use an akop rom. I am unsure of the details or restrictions surrounding this as I have the SCH-I545 modle and it is on the MK2 baseband with kernel 3.4.0 (android 4.3). I was able to root the phone successfully using saferoot and I understand the bootloader is locked and that it may not be possible to install a custom recovery on the phone. Looking around in my searches I found something called Loki (https://github.com/djrbliss/loki) which I understand is for installing custom recovieries and kernels. Is this usable on my phone or do I need to use safestrap and do a dirty flash on my phone and keep both roms side by side? I would use safestrap however it seems restrictive in the fact that the 16gb model is not ideal to have 2+ roms installed on at the same time due to the size of the internal storage, while it also does sound appealing in the fact that it would be nearly impossible to brick the phone and seems like a wonderfully written program.

thanks for any input.

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1241

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by scristopher View Post
Hello all and please forgive me if this has been asked before however being new to this phone I am uncertain of what exactly I am looking for here and am possibly halfway to the solution already. What I am wanting to do is install a custom recovery on my GS4 so that I can use an akop rom. I am unsure of the details or restrictions surrounding this as I have the SCH-I545 modle and it is on the MK2 baseband with kernel 3.4.0 (android 4.3). I was able to root the phone successfully using saferoot and I understand the bootloader is locked and that it may not be possible to install a custom recovery on the phone. Looking around in my searches I found something called Loki (https://github.com/djrbliss/loki) which I understand is for installing custom recovieries and kernels. Is this usable on my phone or do I need to use safestrap and do a dirty flash on my phone and keep both roms side by side? I would use safestrap however it seems restrictive in the fact that the 16gb model is not ideal to have 2+ roms installed on at the same time due to the size of the internal storage, while it also does sound appealing in the fact that it would be nearly impossible to brick the phone and seems like a wonderfully written program.

thanks for any input.
Loki only works for phones with the MDK bootloader. Safestrap is it for now once you've upgraded past MDK.
(And "for now" may be forever.)
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gnubian
Old
Thanks Meter 107
16GB is fine for 2 roms. Just direct your downloads to the external SD if you have one; if not, get one. As the previous poster stated SS is your only way of diverting from stock....for now. Hopefully Surge and Jeboo can remedy this eventually
The Following User Says Thank You to gnubian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scristopher
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
thanks for the replies I'll give SS a shot for now, looks like I'm SOL on using AKOP or any CM roms for now, not really a fan of TW custom or not but ill give them a try.

Thanks again.

maplewood
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
thanks for the replies I'll give SS a shot for now, looks like I'm SOL on using AKOP or any CM roms for now, not really a fan of TW custom or not but ill give them a try.

Thanks again.
As good as Safestrap is (and it is bit of a marvel) it is still possible to softbrick. (Which I have done). So take a bit of normal care.

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 427
Quote:

Thanks again.
I suggest a lot of research and there are some youtube videos. ..too many newcomers jump in and screw their phones up

safestrap enabled, Hyperdrive driven
S4 powered by hashcode 3.71 safestrap HYPERDRIVE 15 by Sbreen94

scristopher
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
flashed hyperdrive into stock slot on SS after backing up, works flawlessly pretty nice for a TW rom! Thanks again!

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 652
Quote:
flashed hyperdrive into stock slot on SS after backing up, works flawlessly pretty nice for a TW rom! Thanks again!
Just be careful on the stock slot.. That's what I'm running now and ran into issues where even restoring my stock nandroid did not work on stock slot. Had to call in Odin to rescue me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
Just be careful on the stock slot.. That's what I'm running now and ran into issues where even restoring my stock nandroid did not work on stock slot. Had to call in Odin to rescue me.

Kinda why Hashcode won't support those that flash stock slot

S4 powered by hashcode 3.71 safestrap HYPERDRIVE 15 by Sbreen94

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
Kinda why Hashcode won't support those that flash stock slot

Yeaaa I know it. I'm leaving HD12 on there for now because I don't have a working backup of mj7. Maybe I'll get around to flashing stock back on eventually, just haven't felt like setting everything back up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]