Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Why google? Why?!?!

OP rans0m00

8th January 2014, 09:33 PM   |  #21  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 324
 
1,882 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rans0m00

I actually think with enough dev support people could figure out how to make the chromecast into quite a bit more. I am not familiar with the limitations of the device itself though.

Before coming to Android I had an iPhone and I had my phone jail broke. Certain apps would not work if it was detected to be jail broken. Usually the devs found a work around and still had the content.

I'm still sticking with best case scenario is this turns out to be an apple vs jail break scene. They keep patching it but devs keep working to find holes and increasing the options users have with their device. This might keep the content providers happy since google would be patching the holes when they are presented.

And when it comes down to other devices doing it better.... Yeah there is always a different options... With the current state of things honestly I still prefer the rokus over the chromecast.


Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What more could they make it do?
Will it take phone calls?
Will it make you coffee?
Will it do you Job for you so you can stay home and get paid?

CCast is meant to display content on a TV...
Without any content it has no purpose!

Sure you could hack your Coffee machine to tell you the weather...
But if it meant you couldn't use it to make Coffee you would be better off just getting a Weather device that didn't need dev support to do what you want.

As for jailbreaking and root it's a great Hobby and way to pass the time but for 99% of all devices it is pointless.
Things that have a Multipurpose and Varied capability makes a TON of sense....
Things that do specific things it is hardly a very important thing to have especially if it diminishes the available content the device was meant to use.

Now so far it would seen Netflix hasn't gotten around to doing Root Checks so your not losing it at the moment.

But if they ever decide to do so I can already hear the complaints from those who INSIST they have root but don't like the fact that due to contracts and the potential for Privacy that the companies who have the content you want won't support your unit that you insist on having full device control.

To me it's kind of like changing your Car to use BioDiesel or Hydrogen, Great Idea sure does make your car do something it wasn't allowed to do out of the gate...
But if the Gas Station won't sell you BioDiesel or Hydrogen all you did was make a car that is useless because you can't find any gas to make it do what you bought it to do!

Thats all I'm getting at here!
I get why people want control!
These same folks want everything for free and don't want to pay!
I get that money is scarce but imagine if someone could get what you made for nothing...How much would you have to spend on more devices you could insist on rooting!

Control is all relative and granted there are 1000 Reasons to want a rooted device...
But none of the matter if having them negates the ability of the device to do what you bought it for!

Which in this case is to play content currently available to the public and put it on your TV...
And if you want that expect to have to comply with what the folks who bring you that content insist on.

They have the ultimate control.
What will eventually happen is they will pull all their content from the Distributors like Netflix, Put it on their own site, Limit how you can see it and charge you as much just for their content as you currently pay NetFlix to bring you only for one channel only!

$8 for NBC, another $8 for CBS, another $20 for HBO....
And none of it will work on a rooted device....
How important will having Root be for you then?

At that point only Bittorrent will be important to you....not root!
8th January 2014, 09:56 PM   |  #22  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
373 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Exactly why I said it's important for Google to patch the holes so content keeps coming.

The overall idea of what the device can or should be doing I don't think should change with root options but improvements would be nice. There was talk of possible ethernet dongle... Things like that.

But it has been explained why google should try to keep root access from us; so content providers want to adopt the platform.

It was an angle I hadn't thought of since my interests have nothing to do with anything that would break drm. Hadn't thought about the controlling people don't like losing control.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
8th January 2014, 10:00 PM   |  #23  
hp420's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag NY
Thanks Meter: 886
 
1,785 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

So given a choice of having Media available for a Media device or Rooted device that does nothing you want the Rooted paperweight....

Good for you!

Like I said, I don't use the paid services other people use. I have different streaming options that don't give a damn about my rooted device. So yes, since I have other options where I can use my rooted device, root is, and always will be my #1 concern.
9th January 2014, 06:03 AM   |  #24  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 324
 
1,882 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp420

Like I said, I don't use the paid services other people use. I have different streaming options that don't give a damn about my rooted device. So yes, since I have other options where I can use my rooted device, root is, and always will be my #1 concern.

So you got root but not to get MORE but only because you needed less and Root was the cherry on top....

THAT is my point...It's not doing more because you got root it's only because you bought a device NOT TO DO what it was designed for but instead chose to have your toaster make eggs!

Lets have a little contest here...
You tell me what root got you (other than the ability to run a custom rom) as far as what you can stream with it and we will see what you gained by that....

When you see I can stream all the different content you can with your rooted CCast PLUS play Netflix, Hulu and anything else that Root might break you can tell me how valuable and IMPORTANT root is to have.
Last edited by Asphyx; 9th January 2014 at 06:08 AM.
9th January 2014, 11:02 AM   |  #25  
hp420's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag NY
Thanks Meter: 886
 
1,785 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

So you got root but not to get MORE but only because you needed less and Root was the cherry on top....

THAT is my point...It's not doing more because you got root it's only because you bought a device NOT TO DO what it was designed for but instead chose to have your toaster make eggs!

Lets have a little contest here...
You tell me what root got you (other than the ability to run a custom rom) as far as what you can stream with it and we will see what you gained by that....

When you see I can stream all the different content you can with your rooted CCast PLUS play Netflix, Hulu and anything else that Root might break you can tell me how valuable and IMPORTANT root is to have.

1 Just because I have root doesn't necessarily have anything to do with me using my phone for media. There are plenty of other uses for it, like tasker, gaining LTE, network speed boosts, custom kernel settings, over/underclocking, battery savings, volume boosting, color adjustment, enhanced video playback/recording performance, and xposed framework just to name a few. I like to tinker, and that means I need full access to control my hardware.
2 By using superSU I'm able to use AOSP and add all the additions I would get with a custom rom, but I don't have to ever worry about anything potentially dangerous being added to the rom.
3 By using XBMC with add ons like 1channel, project free tv, and navi-x I get everything I would from netflix, hulu, amazon, etc without worrying about having root. I get everything in one app, so it's actually even easier since there's no app switching, just browsing through add-ons. Not to mention the added home network connectivity features it offers so all my devices can access the same files, data, media, etc.
4 I don't have to justify anything to you about my needs, and the fact that you are being so rude and closed-minded to the point where you think that everyone's needs are exactly the same as yours and your set-up is the only proper way to have it just shows your immaturity, inexperience, and lack of understanding for how open source works and what makes it such a wonderful way of developing software.

So let me tell you....when you've got Hulu and Netflix, who can take weeks and months to post content you have to pay to access and no root, while I've got a rooted device and I'm streaming all the exact same content well before you can access it, who do you think wins in a contest between features and services available?
Last edited by hp420; 9th January 2014 at 11:15 AM.
9th January 2014, 03:55 PM   |  #26  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 324
 
1,882 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp420

1 Just because I have root doesn't necessarily have anything to do with me using my phone for media. There are plenty of other uses for it, like tasker, gaining LTE, network speed boosts, custom kernel settings, over/underclocking, battery savings, volume boosting, color adjustment, enhanced video playback/recording performance, and xposed framework just to name a few. I like to tinker, and that means I need full access to control my hardware.
2 By using superSU I'm able to use AOSP and add all the additions I would get with a custom rom, but I don't have to ever worry about anything potentially dangerous being added to the rom.
3 By using XBMC with add ons like 1channel, project free tv, and navi-x I get everything I would from netflix, hulu, amazon, etc without worrying about having root. I get everything in one app, so it's actually even easier since there's no app switching, just browsing through add-ons. Not to mention the added home network connectivity features it offers so all my devices can access the same files, data, media, etc.
4 I don't have to justify anything to you about my needs, and the fact that you are being so rude and closed-minded to the point where you think that everyone's needs are exactly the same as yours and your set-up is the only proper way to have it just shows your immaturity, inexperience, and lack of understanding for how open source works and what makes it such a wonderful way of developing software.

So let me tell you....when you've got Hulu and Netflix, who can take weeks and months to post content you have to pay to access and no root, while I've got a rooted device and I'm streaming all the exact same content well before you can access it, who do you think wins in a contest between features and services available?

1 - You running a custom Kernel on your Chromecast? Custom Rom Maybe but not Kernel...There is no AOSP for Chromecast!
2 - You running Tasker on your Chromecast?
3 - You have XBMC running on your Chromecast?
4 - No you should just justify why you said it was important to have ROOT for your Chromecast and how having it allows your Chromecast to do MORE despite the fact you say you don't need more and so losing Netflix and others isn't worth having in favor of Root...

As to your last question. I can stream ANYTHING you can! There isn't a single movie having root gets you a day or minute before I get it! In Fact there isn't a single program that requires root that streams media to my Chromecast Better than Plex which is the ONLY TRANSCODING OPTION for media as I type this...

NO ROOT REQUIRED!

SO your fooling yourself....No One else! Your gaining nothing just wearing ROOT like it's some badge of Honor...
Root to those who know what they are doing is merely a tool for gaining control when something that REQUIRES more control is needed...
Not really the case with the Chromecast as far as streaming media is concerned. It doesn't play any content rooted it can't already play without it. And as I stated it is possible it will play LESS if Netflix puts their foot down.
Last edited by Asphyx; 9th January 2014 at 04:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th January 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #27  
mnjm9b's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 151
 
919 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
is there a non-root way to stream content directly from phone to chromecast without internet? (only local network.)
9th January 2014, 06:23 PM   |  #28  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 882
 
2,248 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnjm9b

is there a non-root way to stream content directly from phone to chromecast without internet? (only local network.)

I could be wrong, but I believe stock Chromecast uses the Google whitelist from the Internet, which would mean No.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes