5,606,297 Members 32,872 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] My T999L's internal serial number does not match sticker Serial Number?

Tip us?

el_garicimo
Old
(Last edited by el_garicimo; 8th January 2014 at 09:08 AM.) Reason: describe problem better
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt [Q] My T999L's internal serial number does not match sticker Serial Number?

Hey all,

The tutorial I used to install the ADB prompted me to run "adb devices" when the device is connected to make sure it's working, and that the serial number of the device should show up. ADB definitely works, as I have rebooted my device and put it into recovery mode from adb; however, the serial number showing up does not match that behind the battery (have attached pics).

I tried doing "adb devices" on an old mytouch 3g slide which I have rooted and flashed CM onto, and the serial number that came up matched the one behind the mytouch 3g slide's battery.

So, questions are:
1.) Does the T999L specifically not show the serial number, but instead some other number related to the phone, when one runs "adb devices?"
2.) is it possible the previous owner of my phone did some sort of modding before returning it, effectively changing the Serial number? (i have also attached a picture of the recovery screen, which seems to be running a clockwork mod based recovery...still new to this, but don't think that comes standard on it?)
3.) If my serial number has been changed by a previous owner, is there a way to change it back, but more importantly, should I even worry about it? things seem to be working fine enough.

While I have used xda forums a couple times, this is my first post a registered user. I have watched the (very entertaining) noob video and looked for my answer, but having not found it, am posting my question in what I believe is the correct forum.

Background on the phone/situation:
I'm doing the research to flash a custom ROM onto my T999L, which I bought unlocked and used after for only a couple days for $300 bucks from a local phone shop near my apt in NYC. Currenly in India, and phone works perfectly using an Indian Carrier's Sim (vodaphone). Running the Stock ROM, which restricts using the phone as a hotspot unless you have T-mobile's stupid plan, so I want to flash to get around that.

Seems like the first step to flashing is to Root the phone, do a full Backup with a Nandroid, and then do the flash...to do this I need Android Debugging Bridge (ADB), which I have succesfully installed...just was curiously about this descrepancy I noticed though.

If anybody has suggestions on a Rom to try for the T999L, let me know! I'm thinking trying to flash the Energy HD 2.0 ROM if that works for the T999L, but the website I found out about that from is dated (top hit when you google best roms for galaxy s3, a cnet post from October 2012)

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	2499801   Click image for larger version

Name:	power shell.PNG
Views:	486
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	2499802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recovery screen.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	2499803  

el_garicimo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default New developments

So after further dectective work last night, i realized even though my phone was still network locked to Tmobile when I got it used (the shop I bought it unlocked it for me), it had already been rooted (it has the Super User app), even though it's running stock rom.

I suspect that some sort of modding had been done by the previous user that changed the Serial Number stored internally as the evidence points to above. Is it important to change it back to match the one on the sticker before I try flashing a custom ROM?

el_garicimo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So no one has any thoughts on this? Have any other T999L users experienced what I describe above? Could someone try it quick on theirs and see what happens?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda app-developers app