Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,222 Members 45,525 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

At stock MF9 rooted... What now?

Tip us?

DizturbedOne
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default At stock MF9 rooted... What now?

On my Sprint Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720). I want to upgrade to the newest OTA, keep root, get rid of KNOX, and unlock it for domestic use. I also want a really safe backup option that assures me an easy recovery in case of softbrick (flashed enough to know, expect it).

I read around, but it seems a little bit more complicated than the other devices I've had. Just want to make sure I do it in the right order, so I won't mess anything up and get stuck.

Tapatalkin' from my SGS4
Device History:

Sprint HTC Hero - Rooted
ROM - CM7
Kernel - Stock
Recovery - CWM

Sprint Nexus S 4G - Rooted
ROM - BlackBean6 6.0
Kernel - AIR r2 Stable
Recovery - ClockWorkMod Touch 6.0.1.0

Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 - Rooted
Stock ROM & Kernel (for now)

bgibs1
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizturbedOne View Post
On my Sprint Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720). I want to upgrade to the newest OTA, keep root, get rid of KNOX, and unlock it for domestic use. I also want a really safe backup option that assures me an easy recovery in case of softbrick (flashed enough to know, expect it).

I read around, but it seems a little bit more complicated than the other devices I've had. Just want to make sure I do it in the right order, so I won't mess anything up and get stuck.

Tapatalkin' from my SGS4
Start with this guide that Mudavo wrote... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277480 it tells you how to keep the MF9 bootloader. All the Knox headache comes with upgrading the bootloader. After that read around theres plenty of opinions on backups.
The Following User Says Thank You to bgibs1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1279

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizturbedOne View Post

Tapatalkin' from my SGS4
I've been using Philz touch recovery, very easy to use nice interface. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nobody291
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I think I just did exactly what you want to do. I was on rooted, stock, MF9, and went to rooted stock MK2 using the info in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2586586

It's just 2 steps...flash the ROM and flash the MK2 modem (instructions provided in the thread). The ROM is already rooted.

Definitely make a nandroid of your current setup at minimum before moving on. Because this method avoids the MK2 (or MJA) bootloader, you can go back to MF9 if you don't like the results, by flashing your nandroid and the MF9 modem.
The Following User Says Thank You to nobody291 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]