XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bamboo Back Cover

Tip us?

sicembaylor
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Bamboo Back Cover

Any chance at all (if possible from a technical standpoint) that we'll get a bamboo back cover? Also, will Motorola allow 3rd party manufacturers to produce their own backs? There are a lot of neat possibilities with the back covers that go well above and beyond the current offerings.

eboIa
Old
Thanks Meter 34
I don't think that official will be anytime available. Moto X is their premium phone and the bamboo back is also a premium accessory. Moto G is a budget device and the half of device price bamboo back wouldn't be to logic for anybody.

3rd party could be (in case also not to logic) but for this just the time will bring the answer.

ebola (from i9300)

ares93
Old
Thanks Meter 83
I'm sure the chinese will think of something eventually, but right now its a firm no. Doesnt matter how long you bully motorola, the wont release a premium case for a budget phone.
Moto G 8GB - Atrix 4G (RIP) - HTC HD2 (RIP/New unit ordered.)

ikillechewbacca
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Well...technically the designs that "could" be available are absolutely endless. Ebay and various other online retailers sell vinyl with numerous designs. I actually even found bamboo vinyl as well. Just take the stock back shell off and put the vinyl on. Use a hair dryer/heat gun on low to get all the wrinkles out (I doubt there would even be wrinkles). Then, take a sewing needle and poke holes in the vinyl that would be covering up the speaker grille. It would come out looking very nice. I have done it to many different phones (not the moto g yet though).

xmattjus
Old
Thanks Meter 222
If I buy a Nexus 7 (2012) skin from Dbrand could I make it fit the Moto G back cover? The white carbon fiber is looking really good!!

PS: they also sell the wood skin!

Phantom Pt. II
Old
(Last edited by Phantom Pt. II; 3rd January 2014 at 01:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 181

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmattjus View Post
If I buy a Nexus 7 (2012) skin from Dbrand could I make it fit the Moto G back cover? The white carbon fiber is looking really good!!

PS: they also sell the wood skin!
I emailed them and received the following awesome and fast reply:

Quote:
Hey!!

Thanks for the email. We've been getting an obscene amount of requests for the Moto G lately and will add it to our line-up, likely in late January or early February. We're working hard right now on a 100% overhaul to our website which will launch in a few weeks. As soon as it's live, we'll get back to adding new device to our selection. Stay tuned!

Signed,
A Robot
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phantom Pt. II For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JoaoSony
Old
Thanks Meter 2
So there's a chance that Motorola will launch news shells for Moto G right? Like new colours, patterns....

I hope that chinese make clones of the motorola shells, its very easy, so we only need to wait. (i hope so)
Thanks

ReOmbra
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Default New Back Cover Coloured Wood

it seems that something is already out, but you can give even better :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71bmY9hLu0L._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	2504941