LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] n00b needs help moving from 3+ to 4+ pls

OP foxguard

4th January 2014, 12:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Suffolk
Thanks Meter: 8

234 posts
More
Hi,

im sure this is a simple thing that i have missed but please help.

I was running PA 3.99, have made a backup using TWRP.
I have then wiped the phone, installed the new PA & GApp and rebooted. All is fine, I now have a clean fresh install of the latest PA.
Now what I wanted or at least thought was correct to do was restore using TWRP.... now this is my first mistake as all his does is restore it back to 3.99! DOH
So i then try again but with out wiping the system part. This time i keep 4+ but get stuck on a bootloader.

Basically all i am trying to do is restore my data IE all my exchange accounts and contacts etc which I thought would be done with the data part of TWRP.

All apps have re-installed with the help of google+ so is there a way to get the missing data back at all?

Thanks
5th January 2014, 04:45 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 8,096

11,022 posts
Donate to Me
More
TWRP restores should not be done unless you want to restore the whole thing.

You have contradicting information, and clearly a lack of understanding the partition/folder structure layout of Android. The rom flash automatically WIPES system because /SYSTEM is where the ROM is stored. /DATA is where your data, apps, appdata, etc are stored. You should use Titanium Backup for backing up your apps/contacts (contacts should be synced with Google and not require backing up or restoring), call logs, mms/sms, etc.

I personally updated a galaxy nexus maguro, and 2 grouper (nexus 7 2012 wifi) from 3.99 to 4.0 with the OTA app, without wiping anything. From your 3.99 you should be able to do nothing more than install the new rom (gapps is even optional as the script keeps those installed anyway) and boot. dont wipe or restore anything. If that fails you should use the Titanium backup method instead.
5th January 2014, 04:46 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 8,096

11,022 posts
Donate to Me
More
ugh. duplicate post
5th January 2014, 09:14 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Suffolk

234 posts
More
Thanks. Yes I am still learning the whole process and obviously became confused. I will make sure from now on I use titanium backup properly. I thought team win was all I needed for backing up.
Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
9th January 2014, 05:27 AM   |  #5  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 45

74 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguard

.. I thought team win was all I needed for backing up.
Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

For backing up app data, No. However in truth it is never a bad idea to keep a clean working backup image of an existing ROM in case all hell breaks loose on your device and need a copy of a previous image that you know works.

Needless to say it's preferable that you keep a copy this image some where other than on the storage partition of the device itself, like perhaps on your Google Drive space.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArclightX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th January 2014, 09:01 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Suffolk

234 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArclightX

For backing up app data, No. However in truth it is never a bad idea to keep a clean working backup image of an existing ROM in case all hell breaks loose on your device and need a copy of a previous image that you know works.

Needless to say it's preferable that you keep a copy this image some where other than on the storage partition of the device itself, like perhaps on your Google Drive space.

Cheers.

Cheers mate
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread