Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,209 Members 48,315 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HD+ most stable roms?

Tip us?

tri0xinn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default HD+ most stable roms?

Had my parents send me their hd+ so I could try and improve performance. I'm new to the nook and it's roms.Right now it's stock and it's weak.. laggy .. just plain poor in general. I'm confident in installing roms but there are quite a few ranging from 4.1 and up. I'd of course like a stock Android 4.x base. Are any of them rock solid stable? Of course I'd like to have 4.4 on it if it's at least pretty stable.. they will be using it mainly for internet cruising on wifi and that's about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.. I plan on starting in a couple hours on the upgrade and it would be nice to have some direction on which rom to start with. thanks!

riboswitch
Old
(Last edited by riboswitch; 9th January 2014 at 01:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri0xinn View Post
Had my parents send me their hd+ so I could try and improve performance. I'm new to the nook and it's roms.Right now it's stock and it's weak.. laggy .. just plain poor in general. I'm confident in installing roms but there are quite a few ranging from 4.1 and up. I'd of course like a stock Android 4.x base. Are any of them rock solid stable? Of course I'd like to have 4.4 on it if it's at least pretty stable.. they will be using it mainly for internet cruising on wifi and that's about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.. I plan on starting in a couple hours on the upgrade and it would be nice to have some direction on which rom to start with. thanks!
First check which emmc chip you got (download emmc brick check).
There is a possibility to brick your device with the MAG2GA chip and firmware 05 combination.

I'd recommend u the latest 10.2 nightly, it runs flawless and bugfree.

Some instructions:

Download these two for ur bootable SDcard cwm:

Win32DiskImager (tool for writing boot image to SD card)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager
NookHDplus-bootable-CWM-6028-for-stock-4GB-rev4-(05.15.13).zip (boot image for SD card)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

Step to Step -> unzip the "NookHDplus-bootable-CWM-6028-for-stock-4GB-rev4.zip" -> write the image to your sd card with win32DisImager (try to take a 4 gig SDCard (worked best for me) and after that copy your wished rom and gapps onto the SD.

Now ur device should start in Recovery and u should be able to flash your new rom+gapps!

recommended 10.2 nightly rom: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=ovation
gapps: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip

greetz

edit: 4.4.2 is imo not stable for daily use and lacks features.

oboefiend
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I don't understand why people are saying 4.4.2 isn't stable. I'm running succulent's build and it's rock solid. No random reboots, no bugs at all. But that's just my experience.

Sent from my rooted GS3 running CM11
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710
Android version: KitKat 4.4.2
ROM: SlimKat RC1
Kernel version: Leankernel
Recovery: Philz Touch 6.0.4.7

Tablet: Barnes and Noble Nook HD+
Android version: KitKat 4.4.2
ROM: CM11 Unofficial
Kernel version: 3.0.101-HD+

riboswitch
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboefiend View Post
I don't understand why people are saying 4.4.2 isn't stable. I'm running succulent's build and it's rock solid. No random reboots, no bugs at all. But that's just my experience.

Sent from my rooted GS3 running CM11
it's lacking many features and believe me you cant compare a fresh new build with one with much more time spend in.

oboefiend
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by riboswitch View Post
it's lacking many features and believe me you cant compare a fresh new build with one with much more time spend in.
I can certainly compare succulent's new build to other older builds. Just because it's newer and not as "established" doesn't matter. What matters is how well it works and it works perfectly for me. It may not have all the features CM10.2 has, but what I want in a rom is one that is smooth, stable, and bug free and it fits my needs perfectly. Back to the OP's question though, I think CM10.2 would probably be the best option for them since other people seem to be having some amount of difficulty with the 4.4 builds.

tri0xinn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
thanks for the reply's .. ended up throwing verygreen/cm11 on it.. didn't check emmc, got lucky I guess. Rom is fantastic.. haven't run into anything.. tested most things and it's running almost as silky smooth as my lg g2 with 4.4.