Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,145 Members 37,380 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Probable softbrick (at least half)

Tip us?

bgbird
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post
This Qualcom Secureboot: Enable - meaning bootloader is locked
Just as a matter of curiosity, EZ-Unlock reports the bootloader to be “unlocked”. Wonder what’s wrong with that?

So pretty much at this point it appears that the only thing that I can do is to ODIN the official 4.3 tar file or stay on the 4.1.2 file that I ODINed previously.

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbird View Post
Just as a matter of curiosity, EZ-Unlock reports the bootloader to be “unlocked”. Wonder what’s wrong with that?

So pretty much at this point it appears that the only thing that I can do is to ODIN the official 4.3 tar file or stay on the 4.1.2 file that I ODINed previously.
Are you rooted? if not it's not going to work.

bgbird
Old
(Last edited by bgbird; 9th January 2014 at 06:38 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
This Qualcom Secureboot: Enable - meaning bootloader is locked
I am rooted - I'm sure of that...

I'm also running the latest TWRP recovery.

EZ-Unlock still lets me lock and unlock the bootloader.

I'm also thinking of flashing VRLE6.bootloader.zip, rebooting, doing an EZ-Unlock and seeing what happens.

If that doesn't work - I'll have to decide
1. do I f staying where I'm at - running 4.1.2 ?
or
2. Do I give up and take the softbrick tar file and lock everything up ?

I'm not sure of what are the pros and cons of either alternative

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1,517
Quote:
EZ-Unlock still lets me lock and unlock the bootloader. I'm also thinking of flashing VRLE6.bootloader.zip, rebooting, doing an EZ-Unlock and seeing what happens.

If that doesn't work - I'll have to decide
1. do I f staying where I'm at - running 4.1.2 ?
or
2. Do I give up and take the softbrick tar file and lock everything up ?

I'm not sure of what are the pros and cons of either alternative
If you're not rooted, EZ unlock just report false results.
If you like to play with custom rom/kernel, meaning not bug free and become a flashcoholic then stay with 4.1.2
If you want a stable, no headache trouble free then upgrade to 4.3
I upgraded my wife to 4.3 and very happy with the results. Everything just work, performance is very good and smooth, gps locked in seconds...enough said.

bgbird
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
If you're not rooted, EZ unlock just report false results.
If you like to play with custom rom/kernel, meaning not bug free and become a flashcoholic then stay with 4.1.2
If you want a stable, no headache trouble free then upgrade to 4.3
I upgraded my wife to 4.3 and very happy with the results. Everything just work, performance is very good and smooth, gps locked in seconds...enough said.
Even if I had to stay on 4.1.2 I'd want CleanRom7 at least. I used that since July when it came out. I liked the features and customizations. I'd like to continue to flash - however every time that I try ( and you can see the results earlier in the thread) the phone wouldn't boot. I think that some part of the OTA got on the phone. For a period of time, I was constantly nagged to take the upgrade. I think that my son answered "yes" and some part updated - until stopped Cleanrom.

Anyway I tried to reflash CleanRom as well as the non-locked ML1 item. Each time, Samsung flashes, then the ornamental Samsung SIII graphic just sits there. In a normal boot, that only lasts a second. Maybe I'll try it again and let sit there for an hour or two and see if something changes.

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1,517
Quote:
Even if I had to stay on 4.1.2 I'd want CleanRom7 at least. I used that since July when it came out. I liked the features and customizations. I'd like to continue to flash - however every time that I try ( and you can see the results earlier in the thread) the phone wouldn't boot. I think that some part of the OTA got on the phone. For a period of time, I was constantly nagged to take the upgrade. I think that my son answered "yes" and some part updated - until stopped Cleanrom.

Anyway I tried to reflash CleanRom as well as the non-locked ML1 item. Each time, Samsung flashes, then the ornamental Samsung SIII graphic just sits there. In a normal boot, that only lasts a second. Maybe I'll try it again and let sit there for an hour or two and see if something changes.
If you are switch from rom to rom, you may have trash residuals. I would wipe cache/dalvik cache/data/system before I flash another rom (clean install), saved me a lot of little issues here and there...

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 744
Quote:
If you are switch from rom to rom, you may have trash residuals. I would wipe cache/dalvik cache/data/system before I flash another rom (clean install), saved me a lot of little issues here and there...
Formatting your internal SD may also be needed, because 4.3 creates a 0/ folder that 4.1 doesn't have.

Alternatively, philz touch recovery has a 0/folder migration that will clear out that folder when switching.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

bgbird
Old
(Last edited by bgbird; 9th January 2014 at 08:43 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
Formatting your internal SD may also be needed, because 4.3 creates a 0/ folder that 4.1 doesn't have.

Alternatively, philz touch recovery has a 0/folder migration that will clear out that folder when switching.

two questions?
1. Do you have a link for philz touch recovery?
2. If I format the internal SD - will an nandroid backup still work? I thought that that had to back into an identical file structure...

Also I do a factory reset each time that I flash.
I know that I'm root because EZ-Unlock requires it. If root isn't enabled - it terminates. When Root is enabled, SuperSU asks permission to do the unlock

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 744
Quote:
two questions?
1. Do you have a link for philz touch recovery?
2. If I format the internal SD - will an nandroid backup still work? I thought that that had to back into an identical file structure...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588639

2. No, The file structure gets completely replaced because a nandroid copies your internal sd card. It'll remake the folder structure.

landshark68
Old
Thanks Meter 547
Just a quick question to cover all the bases. Which version of EZ Unlock are you using? Version 1.2 is the only one that actually works to unlock your bootloader.
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you