Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,614 Members 44,082 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Trouble Mounting partitions

Tip us?

jrock256
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Trouble Mounting partitions

Ok, so I'm a little new to all this, and I've learned enough to be dangerous. I'm working on a first generation Kindle Fire. I spent six hours last night on this issue. Previously, I had installed the stock android 2. something. Anyways it worked ok, but it is an outdated OS. I won this thing in a contest, after having it I would never buy one. Anyway, it has now become my kids toy. As many of you have experienced the default size for the data partition is too small. So I downloaded Fireparted. I couldn't get it to open, so I found out that the file extension belonged to Microsoft Visual studio. So I downloaded it, built the program and ran it. I read the partitions and set the sdcard to 1600Mb, the cache was left at 268, and took up the rest with the data partition. I ran the program, and it stopped, it stayed on the same screen for a while. I closed it all down, and reopened the program and it couldn't read the partitions. I saw on the fireparted forum that he added some program to help some glitch so I found that in the folder and dragged it into Visual studio. I then saw the play button clicked it, and it ran the program without the build thing, i couldn't find it again. Still couldn't read it, so I tried the 2008 version, no good. So, I went back the forums and found the one made by someone on here. It took me while to get it but this now what I get in the adb shell parted /dev/block/mmcblk0
Click image for larger version

Name:	parted print.png
Views:	309
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	2494230

Everything seemed great, I mounted the sdcard, copied the rom jb-4.22-kfire-hashcode-2013 and the gapps for it to the sd card and was about to have an improved kindle. I went to wipe and I get these errors

Name:	WP_20140104_003.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	2494228

Name:	WP_20140104_001.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	2494229

Last night, I would get both the cache, and data errors.

I've tried going into adb shell and typing
mount data
and I get mounted to (a long file name ) failed, no such file or directory exist.

Now what is interesting is I got this for both data and cache, but cache is showing up now in adb shell mount command, when it wasn't last night. So, while I wait for an answer I need to remember what I did last night.

Anyway I seached and search last night, and i kept seeing sugestions to do a fastboot factory reset or something, I really don't want to start over, I know there is a simple answer, to make this fixed in five minutes.
Thanks for you time
Jeff

jrock256
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Update

Ok I have been able to mount the data by typing this in adb shell mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p10 data

Once I do this it mounts in recovery. once I do a wipe it can no longer be mounted. It seems I need to correct something so that it is more consistant. I was hoping if I flashed a rom it may cause this to be corrected at some point, however, all the roms I have gotten from hashtag, refuse to work, if I click verfy md5 it says its missing if I don't it has errors. Is this because of the data mount issue or something else?

jrock256
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Update

Ok, so I found some new information, if I fix this on my own, I plan to post that as well so that future people can find this. any way I learned about the command cat. In adb shell I typed cat /etc/fstab I get this

Name:	cat etc fstab.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	2498358

it seems that I need to change
/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/userdata /data ext 4 rw

to this
/dev/block/mmcblkop10 data ext4 rw

The first line is what it says when I type mount /data
mounting /dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/userdata on /data failed: no such file or directory
is the feed back

all the forums I found so far are written between people who already know all the commands. If some one could confirm or correct my thoery and give me the steps to take I would appreciate it. In the mean time I will continue my quest for answers on my own.

jrock256
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Update

Ok, so this is what I've been able to do

adb pull etc/fstab

I then edit in notepad
to

/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 /cache ext4 rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /sdcard vfat rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system ext4 rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /sd-ext rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 /data ext4 rw

I then

adb push fstab etc

This worked, but once I do a wipe it removes

/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 /data/etx4 rw

and replaces with

/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/userdata /data ext4 rw (found via cat etc/fstab in the abd shell)

also system tends to come in and out, it seems the recovery agent needs to have the correct info put in.

Thepooch
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock256 View Post
Ok, so this is what I've been able to do

adb pull etc/fstab

I then edit in notepad
to

/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 /cache ext4 rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /sdcard vfat rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system ext4 rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /sd-ext rw
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 /data ext4 rw

I then

adb push fstab etc

This worked, but once I do a wipe it removes

/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 /data/etx4 rw

and replaces with

/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/userdata /data ext4 rw (found via cat etc/fstab in the abd shell)

also system tends to come in and out, it seems the recovery agent needs to have the correct info put in.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1850038 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1949372
The Following User Says Thank You to Thepooch For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]