5,596,354 Members 39,166 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How does Rooting affect Galaxy S3's Knox Counter?

Tip us?

patcal
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
It was ultimately unproductive.
I went in and explained the situation (w/ less detail) and asked them to roll me back to UVDMD5.
They said Samsung doesn't let them roll back, so he then proceeded to recover my phone.
He booted into recovery and wiped cache. When that proved unsuccessful, he wiped data. (nothing I couldn't have done)
Wiping data ultimately made the phone usable again. He then proceeded to enter some short codes to bind me to the network quicker.
(all he mentioned was #NUM#)

So I'm back to stock (more or less ). Not sure when I'll root now.

From what I've read, the custom recovery should trip Knox. Have you tried this yourself?
I'm fairly confident if I merely flash root66 that it won't trip Knox. But I'd like better than a 51% confidence interval, that's all.
(Again, it's a work phone and I'd like to return it as I got it.)
I believe I tripped the Knox counter when I flashed CWM recovery after I flashed stock 4.3 from Docs signature. Phone works great but no warranty on a 6 month old phone.

Pat

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2317

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by patcal View Post
I believe I tripped the Knox counter when I flashed CWM recovery after I flashed stock 4.3 from Docs signature. Phone works great but no warranty on a 6 month old phone.

Pat
Was that the Flash Counter or Knox Counter?

patcal
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
Was that the Flash Counter or Knox Counter?
Well I reset the flash counter with Triangle away. The Knox counter was not tripped until I flashed the recovery.

Pat

PhilipJFry
Old
(Last edited by PhilipJFry; 6th January 2014 at 01:12 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

Pat
Pat,
So just to get this straight, you flashed the stock TMO update, so you were not rooted?
Or did you do a root-injected variant of the stock?
Either way, I'm surprised you tripped the (triangle) flash counter.
But I'm more worried about the Knox counter; not worried about the other since there is Triangle Away.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2317

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Well I reset the flash counter with Triangle away. The Knox counter was not tripped until I flashed the recovery.

Pat
Thanks for letting me know.

patcal
Old
(Last edited by patcal; 6th January 2014 at 02:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Pat,
So just to get this straight, you flashed the stock TMO update, so you were not rooted?
Or did you do a root-injected variant of the stock?
Either way, I'm surprised you tripped the (triangle) flash counter.
But I'm more worried about the Knox counter; not worried about the other since there is Triangle Away.
I flashed T999LUVUBMK4 from Docs signature. I am not exactly sure when the flash counter tripped. I do know that the Knox bit was tripped by my flashing the recovery.

Edit: Don't remember how I got root. Sorry.

Edit2: T999L_4.3_UVUBMK4_deodexed_KnoxFREE.zip is the file I flashed.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2317

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I flashed T999LUVUBMK4 from Docs signature. I am not exactly sure when the flash counter tripped. I do know that the Knox bit was tripped by my flashing the recovery.

The Flash Counter (Triangle away kind) will trip due to the running tracer (read Sysscope) in that Rom. I'd not worry about it as Triangle away will take care of it. Yes it trips due to custom Recovery and Root.

PhilipJFry
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
The Flash Counter (Triangle away kind) will trip due to the running tracer (read Sysscope) in that Rom. I'd not worry about it as Triangle away will take care of it. Yes it trips due to custom Recovery and Root.
Thanks for that Perseus71. Didn't know about Sysscope before, but sounds interesting. I figured root66 removed it, since mrRobinson claims that it doesn't trip the normal flash counter. And this matches my experience w/ his previous root66.

Quote:

So it sounds like you were able to flash a rooted ROM and not affect Knox, as long as you leave the stock recovery.
That was my plan anyway. I'll probably look into this later this week.

patcal
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Thanks for that Perseus71. Didn't know about Sysscope before, but sounds interesting. I figured root66 removed it, since mrRobinson claims that it doesn't trip the normal flash counter. And this matches my experience w/ his previous root66.

So it sounds like you were able to flash a rooted ROM and not affect Knox, as long as you leave the stock recovery.
That was my plan anyway. I'll probably look into this later this week.
Yep. Let us know how it goes.

PhilipJFry
Old
(Last edited by PhilipJFry; 10th January 2014 at 03:51 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
FYI, the Knox counter gets tripped.
I flashed the root66 T999UVUEMJC via Odin. That's it.

Oh, and the flash counter does not get set.

Tags
galaxy s3, knox, root66, rooting, warranty