[Q] Non Play Edition ?

OP DigitalLefty

6th January 2014, 06:29 PM   |  #21  
Flag Behind You
Thanks Meter: 699

1,049 posts
More
I wrote a long reply and lost it.
The point of it was that I think the Google devices are more to promote the latest Android version than for sales figures.
I think the gpad gpe is a knee jerk reaction to a much better ipad mini than was expected.
I guess Google sell the devices so cheap primarily to help get them into the hands of the developing community and of course to tweak Apples nose a bit
As for my g pad, at this point in time, I love it. I had saved enough to choose which ever tablet I wanted. The nexus 10 was the front runner for months while I saved up, then I saw the reviews for the ipad air.
I seriously considered it until I tried it out in an Apple store.
Then I spotted the gpad and started following this forum.
As soon as I saw that we'd got cm11 , that was it, I pulled the trigger and bought one..... And I've not even been close to regretting my choice. It's a great tablet

Sent from my LG-V500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
6th January 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #22  
Orange County
Thanks Meter: 21

93 posts
More
There has been a thread for this already as stated before. And what I said there Ill say here. If the G pad stays on 4.2.2 I would not mind. It functions perfectly fine on this and most customers wont really care as long as it works for them. No matter what people on XDA are the hard core tech nit pickers that will always find a problem with a device. It happens. Most customers dont care or wont notice anything. yes 4.4.2 is now out but it doesnt mean 4.1+ are totally useless. Yes using ART is nice but not stable and for me not needed. I have talked to friends who feel that 4.3 on a phone is worthless which is utterly stupid. IF Android 5.0 comes out soon then yes I would like a quick update but that is a topic for another time down the road.

So to sum it up:
If you want fast OS updates buy the GPE(v510)
If you want the experience buy the non GPE(v500)

This is based on my .02 I have used a ROM'd g pad and prefer the stock UI with gravity box to make my own changes. I have a G2 and like that they both offer a similar experience.
Last edited by RyanEJ25; 6th January 2014 at 10:56 PM.
7th January 2014, 03:19 AM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 30

208 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanEJ25

So to sum it up:
If you want fast OS updates buy the GPE(v510)
If you want the experience buy the non GPE(v500)

What I'm having trouble finding is what is the difference between the two? If they are identical hardware wise...

What is stopping us from flashing the official GPE rom on the v500?
7th January 2014, 05:46 AM   |  #24  
Orange County

93 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noriyori

What I'm having trouble finding is what is the difference between the two? If they are identical hardware wise...

What is stopping us from flashing the official GPE rom on the v500?

hardware nothing. from a software front a lot. I didnt think it was until I hung out with an architectural Engineer. I was ultimately confused and lost and cant explain it if my life depended on it lol. Also I believe GApps are different from JB to KK
7th January 2014, 06:13 AM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 30

208 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanEJ25

hardware nothing. from a software front a lot. I didnt think it was until I hung out with an architectural Engineer. I was ultimately confused and lost and cant explain it if my life depended on it lol. Also I believe GApps are different from JB to KK

I get the difference from the regular G pad 8.9 running 4.2.2 LG rom, but what is preventing just installing the GPE rom onto the v500 non GPE device?
7th January 2014, 09:34 AM   |  #26  
Orange County

93 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noriyori

I get the difference from the regular G pad 8.9 running 4.2.2 LG rom, but what is preventing just installing the GPE rom onto the v500 non GPE device?

I think its kernels a encryption for a simple port. The v500 has loki bypases and cant unlock the bootloader i believe. The v510 is unlockable. I know there is a build someone flashed but got boot loop. I think Mahdi rom is the best workaround for a gpe rom. Just thr 4.4.2 but has simple and useful customization.
The Following User Says Thank You to RyanEJ25 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2014, 02:29 AM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 2

37 posts
Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by threnagyn

I think they are going to let the V500 supply dry up and only the V510 will be available from then on out. If that's the case, the user base of the V500 will be relatively small so they might not feel that its worth it to keep it updated for a small group of people.

The GPE is only available in the US and only from Google directly. Considering the global market, I would guess that the V500 is more prevalent.

I really hope they update the stock ROM to at least gain TRIM support, otherwise I'm afraid that performance will dramatically drop off like my 2012 Nexus 7.
Last edited by Stu C; 10th January 2014 at 02:33 AM.
10th January 2014, 05:19 AM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
More
A couple weeks ago i purchased a Nexus and immediately had touchscreen issues. Swapped it for another one at Best Buy and that one had chips along the edges of the screen. It was a great device but how many was I going to have to go through before I had one without flaws. So I took it back to best buy and looked at other tablets. The Gpad was easily the nicest android tablet I saw as far as screen and build quality. Also, my phone is a G2, and I knew I'd be installing CM, so this purchase was a no brainer for me. A quick google search led me to newegg and a pricematch for $279.

Now I'm running CM11 with absolutely no issues on my Gpad and I couldn't be happier. If the GPE interests you then you really should give CM a try. I do have the 7 light bleed spots when using auto brightness but that doesn't both me at all after experiencing the touch issues on the N7.

Overall this is a great device and the G2 is even better. I've owned most of the top of the line phones that have ever been released and the G2 is easily the best in my opinion. LG will continue to have my business for a long time as long as they continue to release solid products, and the community supports them of course.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread