Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,775 Members 40,849 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] question about att contract

Tip us?

sikewrdpryznr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] question about att contract

I don't know where else to ask this question without actually calling AT&T, but I'm needing to thin out my monthly payments and am wanting to get out of my AT&T contract. The longest contract I have expires in May of 2015 so I got a while.

My question is this: if I decided to go ahead and cancel with my sim unlocked phone will I be able to go with a pay as you go option? I'm not going to be able to afford the $800+ in cancellation fees right off the bat so I wanted to know if they will bar my phone from any carrier if it's already unlocked?

Tsuul
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Not sure if this is an option, but I believe T-moble just offered to buy contracts of people leaving ATT/Verizon/Sprint.

NighthawkXL
Old
Thanks Meter 212

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuul View Post
Not sure if this is an option, but I believe T-Mobile just offered to buy contracts of people leaving ATT/Verizon/Sprint.
Only up to a certain amount though, I believe it was $350 per line that they would pay towards the cancellation fees... but it might work in this case.
My Devices
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337)
  • ROM - Purified [4.4.2]
  • Baseband - MK2 (MLD)
  • Root - Yes
  • Recovery - SafeStrap 3.72
----------------------------------------------------------
Enjoying my help? Feel free to help feed this broke college student.

LZLandingZone
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkXL View Post
Only up to a certain amount though, I believe it was $350 per line that they would pay towards the cancellation fees... but it might work in this case.
The highest ETF fee is $350. AT&T subtract $10 from that fee every month you have service with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

sikewrdpryznr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkXL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZLandingZone View Post
The highest ETF fee is $350. AT&T subtract $10 from that fee every month you have service with them.

Yeah I have 4 lines all under contract, one expiring in October, the others I think are early next year. I'm pretty sure my etfs will total over $800 which I won't have for a while. My question is if I cancel my lines, am I going to be black listed for going with a pre paid service like straight talk?

LZLandingZone
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikewrdpryznr View Post
Yeah I have 4 lines all under contract, one expiring in October, the others I think are early next year. I'm pretty sure my etfs will total over $800 which I won't have for a while. My question is if I cancel my lines, am I going to be black listed for going with a pre paid service like straight talk?
They'll probably blacklist the IMEIs. T-Mobile will give you up to $650 per line, for up to five lines. You can get a max of $300 for the phone, and then $350 for the ETF fee. As it stands, the trade in value for the S4 is $163 for 16GB models.