Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,490 Members 52,237 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A small question about ART regarding updates

Tip us?

cooolforce
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default A small question about ART regarding updates

I've been hearing a lot about ART in threads and stuff.So I finally decided to search what this ART thing is. After knowing what ART I am very happy that finally in very near future (or maybe now) android phones will have smooth UI and Apps like iPhone.

Anyways cutting the crap out, I am using Galaxy Note 2 (N71000) running the latest Nightly by Omni. I have enabled ART on my phone just now and i can really see a notable difference . As I was activating ART I found that it is not officially supported by Omni. So a question strikes my mind

"Do I need to shift back to Dalvik from ART to install latest updates or can I flash them normally?"

I searched but couldn't find an existing thread.
Thanks

aidanski
Old
Thanks Meter 54
You can flash any update as normal, the only thing is depending on how many apps you have it will take a lot longer to optimise them on the first boot compared to dalvik. It's a worthy trade-off but can be an inconvenience when it takes 10-20 minutes for roughly 200 apps.

Sent from my GT-I9505
Galaxy S4 GT-I9505
HTC sensation XE Retired
The Following User Says Thank You to aidanski For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cooolforce
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Alright,I don't mind waiting if I can get flawless performance . your post answers my question. Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

PonsAsinorem
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2059

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolforce View Post
if I can get flawless performance.
Sounds like you're a little new with ART. I'm not saying you're complaining (because you're not), but bear in mind ART is experimental and may or may not continue to work, or even be included by Google in the future. So remember, if it it quits working...
Quote:
Originally Posted by koush
PSA: ART

Dear everyone,

Stop mailing <insert app developer here> asking them to fix their app when using ART. You need to stop using ART until it is fixed. It is experimental for a reason.

Thanks,
Every Developer Ever
https://plus.google.com/110558071969...ts/Cz5m4HhYkD6

"Defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession;
you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is
that it's not literally illegal to express.
" ~The InterWebz

cooolforce
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Haha yes I am very very aware that ART is experimental and I am not worried if some apps stop working. And I hope that in future Google improves ART and implements it as the main runtime because the concept of ART is very appealing.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk