XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] kitkat update date?

Tip us?

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Note10.1Dude View Post
The more I hear about the new UI, I'm not sure that is the worst scenario. It certainly does not sound like it is making touchwiz any better - just less standard. I would really like a google experience model with all the S-pen features added through the Samsung store.
Here's why I like the new UI. What we (and other 10" tablet owners) have today is a phone UI stretched over a much larger display. So you can use the "meh" selection of current widgets, a lot of which waste a lot of space in return for limited information, or you end up with a sea of icons covering a large area of real estate which isn't very attractive. It's too early to say for sure the new UI is better but if the widgets provided are interactive and provide useful real time information it could be a great approach. I like the way they abut each other maximizing the content shown and leveraging the larger display. So I'm sold on the theory but withholding judgment until I see the execution. Depending on Samsung's approach to the N10.1-14's now mislabeled "menu" vs. "apps" button we may never find out.

habs24x
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I for one want to see my note 10.1-14 get the Magazine UX. It looks snazzier and better suited for the screen size.
If Samsung doesnt offer it to current owners of the 2014 ED, im done with them. Ill sell my note 10.1 and my Note 3 and never look back.
The Following User Says Thank You to habs24x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3806
I'm not drawing any conclusions and my thoughts are no more or less valid than anyone's here. But here's what strikes me as strange:
  • All the tablets were in development at the same time (it takes 6 months to bring a product to market) and the N10.1-14 was just announced September 7. That's four months ago from today. It went on sale in October, three months ago from today. If they knew they were going to introduce a "Pro" line, and needed a new name for the newer Note 10.1 to separate it from the 2012 version, why wasn't it launched as the "Note 10.1|Pro" from the start?

• Why has there been no mention at all about the N10.1-14 in any of the press materials or presentations that discuss the 2014 premium tablet line? With "Pro" vs. "Note" being played up as the addition of the S Pen in the latter why wouldn't discussions of the Galaxy Tab|Pro 10.1 include mentions of its S Pen equipped relative the N10.1-14?

• The move to an "apps" capacitive button with unique graphics and away from the current N10.1-14's "menu" button is troubling. Samsung's either going to push out s/w whose function doesn't align with the graphics on the button or, because of that anomaly, not push out the new s/w. My greatest fear would be the N10.1-14 will continue as is, maybe with the same interface and an update to 4.4, and be replaced closer to the other tablet's launches with a Note 10.1|Pro. That would leave the N10.1-14 as sort of a tweener and somewhat of an orphan.
I for one will be pissed if Samsung semi-abandons the N10.1-14 in favor of a "new" Note 10.1|Pro. The thing just went on sale in October and adding "2014 Edition" to its official name certainly made it seem like "2014" would mean longevity beyond 1st quarter. The combination of the above three bullets concern me, more so the complete non-mention of the N10.14's very existence. So it could all end up meaning nothing and the N10.1-14 will soldier on with a different name than its newer brethren, get the new interface, and live happily ever after. Or it could be that Samsung could potentially be waiting to drop a bomb (Note 10.1|Pro) that'll make a lot of people that trusted them very angry. If in fact that's their plan there's no incentive to do it early as not saying anything allows N10.1-14 sales to continue at the same pace. Time will tell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Geordie Affy
Old
Thanks Meter 92
I honestly have a feeling there won't be a Note 10.1 Pro version this year, I reckon they will just keep on as the normal Note 10.1 2014. But on the Software updates yeah I reckon they will push it out and just have the menu button perform a different task, not that it would be the end of the world if the button did a different job but tbh I don't care for the apps button or whatever it's meant to be - I love the menu button as it makes life a lot easier. Just my thoughts so don't go asking me for evidence lol.

Really we just have to wait and see and then get angry when Samsung make a mess of it haha.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy SIII
Dell Inspiron 1720 - Awesome Laptop

morell2
Old
Thanks Meter 34

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs24x View Post
I for one want to see my note 10.1-14 get the Magazine UX. It looks snazzier and better suited for the screen size.
If Samsung doesnt offer it to current owners of the 2014 ED, im done with them. Ill sell my note 10.1 and my Note 3 and never look back.
I agree in my house all phones is only samsung the newwest and moto g
if not Magazine UX for it
bye bye samsung
Note 10.1 2014 edition 32g
Galaxy S4 I9500 16g
Owner

bootx1
Old
Thanks Meter 9
The logical thing to do would be choice over what the button does. Update to 4.4 with the button changed to recent apps, but with option in settings to revert it back to it's older function. That way they are meeting Google design preference but also meeting user customisability desires.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to bootx1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3806
This kind of makes me fell better. If a Note 10.1|Pro was indeed on the horizon they wouldn't be releasing the N10.1-14 on VZW, the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. If their intent was to leave Magazine UX off the N10.1-14 because of the button labeling issue and introduce a Note 10.1|Pro with Magazine UX and an updated button it would be given a different model number to aid their support staff in handling customer issues. The author's assuming an update to 4.4/Magazine UX but I don't know whether she's basing that on fact or an assumption on her part. Regardless, that the N10.1-14 is continuing to be deployed in new iterations with the same model number is kind of reassuring about its longevity.

2014 Edition Galaxy Note 10.1 spotted at the FCC carrying Verizonís 4G LTE bands
Posted on Jan 10 2014 - 8:30am by Valerie Richardson

The 2014 Edition Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 might have taken a backseat with the arrival of the Galaxy NotePRO and the three Galaxy TabPRO tablets, but itís certainly not going to be forgotten for long. A new FCC listing has now revealed the tabletís arrival through Verizon Wireless in the U.S., complete with 4G LTE bands supported by the carrier.

The Galaxy Note 10.1 which broke cover in September during the IFA event is certainly a tablet worth considering as it features pretty much the same hardware as the newly announced Galaxy NotePRO (except for the size) down to every detail. This is merely an FCC listing, so thereís no official word on when the tablet will officially hit Verizon, but weíre guessing an announcement will take place in the coming weeks, possibly during the MWC.

This is clearly one of the best tablets in the market today which will get even better once Samsung rolls out the Android 4.4 update with the new TouchWiz and the Magazine UX. Expect the tablet to cost somewhere close to $600 off contract, which is the price of the Wi-Fi variant currently sold by Samsung, so itís certainly not going to be easy on your wallets.

http://thedroidguy.com/2014/01/2014-...x8KIg3w7Rid.99

The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]