Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,563 Members 45,296 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Buying off craigslist? What else should I do?

Tip us?

DarthScabrous
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Buying off craigslist? What else should I do?

So, theres a guy on craigslist who was selling his Note 3 in box for $400, and I offered $325. Now, what I had planned to do was to meet in public, most likely at the AT&T store, pop in my sim, and check to make sure its working. Also, I was going to check the imei number, and make up a bill of sale with the imei included. Anything else I can do?

And if the phone is linked to their contract, and they end up not paying, that will blacklist the phone correct? Will a bill of sale protect me?

XiphoneUzer
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthScabrous View Post
So, theres a guy on craigslist who was selling his Note 3 in box for $400, and I offered $325. Now, what I had planned to do was to meet in public, most likely at the AT&T store, pop in my sim, and check to make sure its working. Also, I was going to check the imei number, and make up a bill of sale with the imei included. Anything else I can do?

And if the phone is linked to their contract, and they end up not paying, that will blacklist the phone correct? Will a bill of sale protect me?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post49280606

DarthScabrous
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Well, I think I scared him off anyway. I requested pictures, the imei number, receipt of purchase, and that he was going to have to sign a bill of sale. He said ok, and hasn't replied in two hours. Oh well, I need to save money for a trip anyway, I'm just tired of looking at my LG Optimus G Pro. I want to upgrade, as stupid as it sounds.

aygriffith
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Nothing will protect you against blacklisting of IMEI numbers. It's only going to get worse on Craigslist with programs like AT&T Next. Even if it's not blacklisted today it might be in 2 months when the not paid phone hits collections.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Now...
Samsung Note 3 N900A(play)
Apple iPhone 5S 32GB(work)
Asus Nexus 7" 16GB & 32GB WiFi
Samsung Nexus 10 32GB
Apple iPad 4
Samsung 500t Tablet + Dock

Gone but mostly not forgotten...
6 Blackberries, HTC TP2, HTC Hero, HTC Evo 4G, Samsung Nexus S 9020T, Samsung Galaxy S2 T989, Samsung Galaxy Nexus 9250i, Apple iPhone 4s, HTC One X+, Asus Transformer TF300, Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung GT7 i987, Samsung GT27 GT-P3113, Samsung GN2 GT-N7100, Samsung GT10 GT-P7510, LG G Pro E980
The Following User Says Thank You to aygriffith For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wish777
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1141

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Well, I think I scared him off anyway. I requested pictures, the imei number, receipt of purchase, and that he was going to have to sign a bill of sale. He said ok, and hasn't replied in two hours. Oh well, I need to save money for a trip anyway, I'm just tired of looking at my LG Optimus G Pro. I want to upgrade, as stupid as it sounds.
You did the right thing..who cares if you think you scared a thief away...You protected yourself from scumbags that rip good people off..spending that kind of money and getting blacklisted isn't worth all the hassle.....If you find a honest seller he/she won't hesitate at all for a bill of sale...

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aygriffith View Post
Nothing will protect you against blacklisting of IMEI numbers. It's only going to get worse on Craigslist with programs like AT&T Next. Even if it's not blacklisted today it might be in 2 months when the not paid phone hits collections.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
True..but as long as he had a proper "bill of sale" least he has some evidence of a crooked seller,and have more options then nothing at all.....But your exactly right though, and it will get worse with more carriers offering upgrades sooner.

mazdamiata210
Old
Thanks Meter 294

DONATE TO ME
I've sold many phones on ebay and craigslist and also purchased quite a few. I never had any problems doing so. Just use common sense, see what the person is like, never go alone when meeting someone. And obviously make sure it's not blacklisted. A person who was a serious seller would do whatever needed to make the sale, however it is best to explain why you want the information you're asking for. Otherwise they'll think you're just being annoying lol

A thanks is always nice if I helped

Samsung Blackjack > iPhone > iPhone 3G > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S > Note 1 > Note 2 (N7100) > Note 3 > iPhone 5S

BlackZenith
Old
(Last edited by BlackZenith; 10th January 2014 at 02:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 62
This thread is about a guy that bought an N3 off Craigslist, and the seller blacklisted it a few hours after the sale (insurance fraud). You may want to make sure the seller transfers ownership to you with AT&T.
Note 3 + Gear 2

Paulita1
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:

I never had any problems doing so. Just use common sense, see what the person is like, never go alone when meeting someone. And obviously make sure it's not blacklisted. A person who was a serious seller would do whatever needed to make the sale, however it is best to explain why you want the information you're asking for. Otherwise they'll think you're just being annoying lol