Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Buying off craigslist? What else should I do?

OP DarthScabrous

10th January 2014, 01:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

76 posts
So, theres a guy on craigslist who was selling his Note 3 in box for $400, and I offered $325. Now, what I had planned to do was to meet in public, most likely at the AT&T store, pop in my sim, and check to make sure its working. Also, I was going to check the imei number, and make up a bill of sale with the imei included. Anything else I can do?

And if the phone is linked to their contract, and they end up not paying, that will blacklist the phone correct? Will a bill of sale protect me?
10th January 2014, 01:44 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 18

289 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthScabrous

So, theres a guy on craigslist who was selling his Note 3 in box for $400, and I offered $325. Now, what I had planned to do was to meet in public, most likely at the AT&T store, pop in my sim, and check to make sure its working. Also, I was going to check the imei number, and make up a bill of sale with the imei included. Anything else I can do?

And if the phone is linked to their contract, and they end up not paying, that will blacklist the phone correct? Will a bill of sale protect me?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post49280606
10th January 2014, 02:17 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

76 posts
Well, I think I scared him off anyway. I requested pictures, the imei number, receipt of purchase, and that he was going to have to sign a bill of sale. He said ok, and hasn't replied in two hours. Oh well, I need to save money for a trip anyway, I'm just tired of looking at my LG Optimus G Pro. I want to upgrade, as stupid as it sounds.
10th January 2014, 08:16 AM   |  #4  
Flag The City of Salt
Thanks Meter: 62

256 posts
More
Nothing will protect you against blacklisting of IMEI numbers. It's only going to get worse on Craigslist with programs like AT&T Next. Even if it's not blacklisted today it might be in 2 months when the not paid phone hits collections.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to aygriffith For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2014, 10:13 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1,154

1,746 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well, I think I scared him off anyway. I requested pictures, the imei number, receipt of purchase, and that he was going to have to sign a bill of sale. He said ok, and hasn't replied in two hours. Oh well, I need to save money for a trip anyway, I'm just tired of looking at my LG Optimus G Pro. I want to upgrade, as stupid as it sounds.

You did the right thing..who cares if you think you scared a thief away...You protected yourself from scumbags that rip good people off..spending that kind of money and getting blacklisted isn't worth all the hassle.....If you find a honest seller he/she won't hesitate at all for a bill of sale...

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aygriffith

Nothing will protect you against blacklisting of IMEI numbers. It's only going to get worse on Craigslist with programs like AT&T Next. Even if it's not blacklisted today it might be in 2 months when the not paid phone hits collections.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

True..but as long as he had a proper "bill of sale" least he has some evidence of a crooked seller,and have more options then nothing at all.....But your exactly right though, and it will get worse with more carriers offering upgrades sooner.
10th January 2014, 10:25 AM   |  #6  
Flag Brooklyn, N.Y.
Thanks Meter: 298

618 posts
Donate to Me
More
I've sold many phones on ebay and craigslist and also purchased quite a few. I never had any problems doing so. Just use common sense, see what the person is like, never go alone when meeting someone. And obviously make sure it's not blacklisted. A person who was a serious seller would do whatever needed to make the sale, however it is best to explain why you want the information you're asking for. Otherwise they'll think you're just being annoying lol
10th January 2014, 03:30 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 62

255 posts
This thread is about a guy that bought an N3 off Craigslist, and the seller blacklisted it a few hours after the sale (insurance fraud). You may want to make sure the seller transfers ownership to you with AT&T.
Last edited by BlackZenith; 10th January 2014 at 03:43 PM.
10th January 2014, 04:45 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 9

115 posts
Smile
Quote:

I never had any problems doing so. Just use common sense, see what the person is like, never go alone when meeting someone. And obviously make sure it's not blacklisted. A person who was a serious seller would do whatever needed to make the sale, however it is best to explain why you want the information you're asking for. Otherwise they'll think you're just being annoying lol

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread