Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,319 Members 53,158 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cannot see WiFi networks except saved ones?

Tip us?

erectim
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Cannot see WiFi networks except saved ones?

Hello,

I noticed this problem a few weeks ago. For some reason, my phone (N9005) has no problems connecting to my home WiFi and a few other ones that I have saved, but when scanning it doesn't show any other WiFis except the ones that I have saved, it's like it isn't even scanning. I tried to delete my home WiFi off of the list and sure enough, when I scanned it was completely gone and the phone couldn't see it. And then I manually added the network and it connected without a problem.

If anyone has any input on why this could be happening, it would be greatly appreciated because it is a huge pain in the ass, especially when you're out and about. Thanks in advance.

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 73
This being XDA forum, first question would be is your phone modded?
My wild guess: it could be some software interfering. Why don't try to boot in safe mode, just like windows safe mode, should load minimum programs and if it works then it's one of the programs, if it doesn't then I would wipe cache.

erectim
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah, forgot to mention that. It's only rooted with De La Vega, everything else is stock. I removed some of the bloat with Titanium Backup, but that's about it. I do remember that stock Messages app started FCing after that so I ended up removing it too, maybe I removed something that messed up the WiFi as well?

Tried the safe mode thing, but it didn't work. Deleting the cache didn't work either.

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 73
In that case I would go on a limb and suspect you deleted something you shouldn't. When I was going over the list of programs to stop from booting, for many of them I couldn't find any references, what they are for, so I left them alone. What I would do if I was you, I would reload everything back to stock (I think you can do that without tripping Knox) and then freeze those programs instead of deleting, so you can always unfreeze them if things go south. Also some of the programs I don't use now, I may find useful in the future. IMO the phone is powerful enough and has enough memory and battery power to handle little extra bloatware, no need to go Spartan.