Ask a question

No registration required

TF701T won't charge

OP gswarbrick

7th January 2014, 12:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Initially, it wouldn't switch on at all but, after a while it showed the battery empty gauge and wouldn't turn on, even though the power cord was attached - and, in any case, it should have been fairly well charged.

After a while I opened it up again and it had a dialog in the centre of the screen saying 'Android is upgrading... Please unplug the power adapter before updating the Pad firmware'. I did; it turned off.

Subsequently, though, it turned on with the power and dock connected and everything was working as normal. The dock was charging, but the tablet wasn't.

I've done a factory reset from the Settings menu to see if there was something about the interrupted firmware update that had stopped it charging and it still worked afterwards, but still wouldn't charge. I did an erase/reload from the Bootloader menu and that didn't help either, but then prompted me for a system update. This insisted I had the power cord in (which seemed to make more sense...) but after the first reboot it didn't restart. I gave up at that point and, when I went back it was saying 'Android is upgrading... Please unplug the power adapter before updating the Pad firmware' again.
Last edited by gswarbrick; 9th January 2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Privacy
10th January 2014, 11:51 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 40

488 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswarbrick

Initially, it wouldn't switch on at all but, after a while it showed the battery empty gauge and wouldn't turn on, even though the power cord was attached - and, in any case, it should have been fairly well charged.

After a while I opened it up again and it had a dialog in the centre of the screen saying 'Android is upgrading... Please unplug the power adapter before updating the Pad firmware'. I did; it turned off.

Subsequently, though, it turned on with the power and dock connected and everything was working as normal. The dock was charging, but the tablet wasn't.

I've done a factory reset from the Settings menu to see if there was something about the interrupted firmware update that had stopped it charging and it still worked afterwards, but still wouldn't charge. I did an erase/reload from the Bootloader menu and that didn't help either, but then prompted me for a system update. This insisted I had the power cord in (which seemed to make more sense...) but after the first reboot it didn't restart. I gave up at that point and, when I went back it was saying 'Android is upgrading... Please unplug the power adapter before updating the Pad firmware' again.

Yeah, those Charger plugged and not plugged messsages are totally misleading. First it says disconnect the charger (otherwhise update would not continue) and when the update is actually underway it says "do not disconnect the charger during the update".

Yeah, right, Asus. Totally makes sense.
10th January 2014, 12:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashban

Yeah, those Charger plugged and not plugged messsages are totally misleading. First it says disconnect the charger (otherwhise update would not continue) and when the update is actually underway it says "do not disconnect the charger during the update".

Yeah, right, Asus. Totally makes sense.

And, of course, if you don't unplug the power when it tells you to, it doesn't proceed. And if you do, there's no charge, so it switches off. And you're back to square one... If the firmware change fixes the charging problem, I'll never know because it won't install.
10th January 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 17

151 posts
leave the tab only charging over night still happening return it
10th January 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malos1984

leave the tab only charging over night still happening return it

Tried that. RMA approved...