Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,888 Members 36,011 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

TF701T won't charge

Tip us?
 
gswarbrick
Old
(Last edited by gswarbrick; 9th January 2014 at 04:11 PM.) Reason: Privacy
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Sep 2009
Default TF701T won't charge

Initially, it wouldn't switch on at all but, after a while it showed the battery empty gauge and wouldn't turn on, even though the power cord was attached - and, in any case, it should have been fairly well charged.

After a while I opened it up again and it had a dialog in the centre of the screen saying 'Android is upgrading... Please unplug the power adapter before updating the Pad firmware'. I did; it turned off.

Subsequently, though, it turned on with the power and dock connected and everything was working as normal. The dock was charging, but the tablet wasn't.

I've done a factory reset from the Settings menu to see if there was something about the interrupted firmware update that had stopped it charging and it still worked afterwards, but still wouldn't charge. I did an erase/reload from the Bootloader menu and that didn't help either, but then prompted me for a system update. This insisted I had the power cord in (which seemed to make more sense...) but after the first reboot it didn't restart. I gave up at that point and, when I went back it was saying 'Android is upgrading... Please unplug the power adapter before updating the Pad firmware' again.
 
Kashban
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 486
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswarbrick View Post
Initially, it wouldn't switch on at all but, after a while it showed the battery empty gauge and wouldn't turn on, even though the power cord was attached - and, in any case, it should have been fairly well charged.

After a while I opened it up again and it had a dialog in the centre of the screen saying 'Android is upgrading... Please unplug the power adapter before updating the Pad firmware'. I did; it turned off.

Subsequently, though, it turned on with the power and dock connected and everything was working as normal. The dock was charging, but the tablet wasn't.

I've done a factory reset from the Settings menu to see if there was something about the interrupted firmware update that had stopped it charging and it still worked afterwards, but still wouldn't charge. I did an erase/reload from the Bootloader menu and that didn't help either, but then prompted me for a system update. This insisted I had the power cord in (which seemed to make more sense...) but after the first reboot it didn't restart. I gave up at that point and, when I went back it was saying 'Android is upgrading... Please unplug the power adapter before updating the Pad firmware' again.
Yeah, those Charger plugged and not plugged messsages are totally misleading. First it says disconnect the charger (otherwhise update would not continue) and when the update is actually underway it says "do not disconnect the charger during the update".

Yeah, right, Asus. Totally makes sense.
1st Picture Calendar Widget THD Advertising Graphics

Devices


Samsung Galaxy S2 (CM11) - Samsung Galaxy S3 (CM 11) - Asus Transformer Pad 701 32 GiByte grey - Google Nexus 7 2013 32 GiByte - Huawei Ideox X3 (Stock rooted) - Sony XPeria J (4.1.2, rooted), TV-PC E-MC884-quad (Android 4.2), Samsung Galaxy Gea 1 (null_23)

 
gswarbrick
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashban View Post
Yeah, those Charger plugged and not plugged messsages are totally misleading. First it says disconnect the charger (otherwhise update would not continue) and when the update is actually underway it says "do not disconnect the charger during the update".

Yeah, right, Asus. Totally makes sense.
And, of course, if you don't unplug the power when it tells you to, it doesn't proceed. And if you do, there's no charge, so it switches off. And you're back to square one... If the firmware change fixes the charging problem, I'll never know because it won't install.
 
malos1984
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 149
Join Date: Aug 2011
leave the tab only charging over night still happening return it
 
gswarbrick
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by malos1984 View Post
leave the tab only charging over night still happening return it
Tried that. RMA approved...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes