Originally Posted by johnnyohar
i have been trying to flash a custom recovery on my virgin mobile samsung galaxy s2 epic 4g touch...but i have never done this before... it has android 4.1.2 and the build is GB28.. im not sure at all how to do this so if someone could help it would be greatly appriciated. my end goal is to get CyanogenMod on my phone but like i said have never done this before. thanks in advance!
1. Download full ROM, verify MD5 checksum
and copy to phone SD storage. And download GApps and do the same. Also download the FL24 Modem as you will need that as well.
2. Download and copy Jellybean X2 Format utility to SD storage: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2077277
3. Install EL29 Directboot kernel. It can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1662295
( Look for: GB - Direct Boot CWM
Note: .tar file is for flashing with Mobile Odin, .zip is for flashing in recovery (you probably don't have one), and .exe file is for flashing with Odin on PC.
4. Reboot into recovery, flash JB X2 Format then the ROM. You may flash the modem at this point if you like (required to run CM), but no other mods until ROM has fully booted the first time.
***Note- EL29 cannot flash modems- however, you can always flash it after the ROM boots with the built-in recovery***
5. Let ROM boot fully and settle for a couple of minutes during the initial boot. (It will take around 10 minutes)