Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,619 Members 52,155 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Trouble in 4.X land . . . almost there, Gapps workaround?

Tip us?

iggyst00ge
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Trouble in 4.X land . . . almost there, Gapps workaround?

I'm running into some weird issues with my Fascinate when trying to flash to a 4.X.X ROM.

I've followed the guide here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1238070 to the letter, starting from bone stock, clearing caches, factory resetting, etc when installing a new ROM.

The phone and CWM will work perfectly up until a 4.X.X ROM is flashed (usually a Cyanogenmod derivative). The ROM itself will normally flash okay, but when I go back into CWM to install Gapps, I get the following errors on CWM bootup --
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I can run the Gapps install from CWM, and it looks like the installation is taking place (normally no errors I can see) but it won't take after a reboot -- the apps don't show up in my list of installed apps. And yes, I'm checking the version of Gapps against the Android release to see if they're compatible.

So other than the Gapps issues, things are working fine. I tried a 4.2.2 MIUI ROM that had Gapps included, and it's working, but MIUI doesn't feel right to me.

Is there any other way to get Gapps onto my phone other than CWM once I've already installed a 4.X.X ROM, OR to fix the CWM errors (assuming they're what's causing CWM to not install Gapps correctly)?

Chris

hhp_211
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 511
It sounds like you have a funky flash coming up from what we refer to as EH03 Stock (Verizon android 2.3.5),, but eh03 is really the radio version,,,
That is what usually causes those mount errors in recovery.
The must effective way to fix is to use odin to go back to stock, then come up to your 4.2.2 ROM of choice.
You did not mention which gapps or rom you wanted to try but keep in mind the gapps you start with needs to be of the same age/time frame as the ROM. If the ROM is dated 7/13/2013 get a gapps package prior to that date.
You will then have to upgrade the apps through the play store to get latest ones compatible with the rom you choose.

Currently Running :: Something with some kind of Kernel
Samsung Fascinate SCH-i500
[Kernels] Flashable Jellybean 4.2.x || 4.3 || & tweaks[`Kernels`&`Recovery`] Flashable KitKat || 4.4.x || & Tweaks
Links to Fascinate Android 4.2 and Older filesLinks to Fascinate Android 4.3 and Newer files
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=4298..........http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=7312
The Following User Says Thank You to hhp_211 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iggyst00ge
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp_211 View Post
It sounds like you have a funky flash coming up from what we refer to as EH03 Stock (Verizon android 2.3.5),, but eh03 is really the radio version,,,
That is what usually causes those mount errors in recovery.
The must effective way to fix is to use odin to go back to stock, then come up to your 4.2.2 ROM of choice.
I downloaded two alternate EH03 ROMs, flashed them, and then upgraded to the Cyanogen nightly. The errors are still showing up in CWM once I install Cyanogen, but not before.

Is there another likely culprit? A bad CWM4?

Chris

iggyst00ge
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Victory?

I downloaded another copy of the Bootloader and CWM4, and then installed Cyanogenmod AND Gapps before booting into 4.2.2. That worked.

Thanks for your help,

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to iggyst00ge For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]