Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,799 Members 47,831 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] NST False Empty Battery

Tip us?

Joe2987
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] NST False Empty Battery

I've had my NST Glowlight for roughly a year (so the warranty's run out). I haven't used it since October or so, and when I tried to charge and boot it recently, it doesn't do anything. When I plug it in, the green LED immediately turns on, and if I wiggle the charging cable a bit, it'll turn to amber, but no matter what I do, the thing won't turn on. However, the backlight will work (for as long as it's plugged in; the backlight will turn back off after about 30 seconds if I unplug it). I've taken off the back panel to have a look at the battery. It seems fine: the positive and negative terminals read ~4.10V, and like I said, the backlight works. I've also tried all of the standard reset things such as holding the power button for 20-30 seconds, holding both the power and the N button for 20-30 seconds, leaving the battery unplugged for a while then trying to charge it, trying to charge it for a long period of time (about 6-8 hours).

In any case, nothing I've tried has worked, and I'm starting to get frustrated. The other two times this has happened, I could just return it and get a new one, but now that that warranty's gone, I'd have to buy a new one, which I'm not really all that willing to do.

If anyone has any ideas or insight, I'd be very grateful. Thank you in advance.

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 783
A voltmeter on the battery with no load might be a red herring.

A 100 ohm to 1K should be enough of a load.

A Nook without a battery will refuse to boot, however it will pop up in bootloader mode for a bit.

If you just plug in a USB cable does it popup on your PC "New device found"?

This thread might be of interest: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2559915
You can probably skip to the end.